______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wandering through Windham, May 2012

I miss the opportunities to just get a car and wander, so when I had some daylight hours left one night during the quicky Connecticut roadtrip, I wandered the roads around Windham.

Here's the "frog bridge" at dusk, aka Thread City Crossing, named in honor of Willimantic's agricultural and manufacturing past.


Why with the frogs on the spools? Why not? Weirder things have been used to symbolize things..

Related to the Frog Bridge, the historical Monument on Windham Center green, and the former cotton and American Thread mills, now studios, businesses, etc.


Some of my favorite features from some of my favorite Victorians up in the hills of town. Check out the house on the right. It is one of the two houses in town that had curved windows. When I was growing up, it used painted a forest green with white trim. At night, when the lights were lit, you could see into the house, and see the woodwork and the stairs up to the upper stories. There's also a turret on that house. At Christmas time, the curved bay window used to be filled with Christmas trees and lights. So magical. But SO MUCH HOUSE.


Headed out of town, on the historical Windham Center green, listed on the National Register of Historic Places:

Love the lttle library, and the views of the Windham Inn, and the neighboring pink mansion and "white house."


Don't you just love this little sliver of a building? It's a room of its own.


On the back roads through North Windham:

This is the weirdest farm fields I've ever seen. Goats, sheep, donkeys, and colored CANNONBALLS? Missed the name of it, but it was something religious.


Forget a two-car garage. What about two-tractor parking?

No comments: