______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, March 16, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Note from Nicole

Nicole, aka Nicolai, Nikki, etc. is one of the few friends from high school with whom I'm still in touch. Ironically, she and Jenn now live in the same town but only seem to see each other when I visit Connecticut. Turns out, I'm the common link in that high school chain of acquaintance. I think they are getting better about getting together without me because I get weird texts from time to time from one about contacting the other. (Just do it girls!)

Honestly, I can't remember which of my classes overlapped with Nicole's so that we first met. As you'll see below, it definitely wasn't the many music, choir, theater, or arts classes. It had to be History or Social Studies or something like that, because that's how we got involved in the trip to the Soviet Union. Also, we were probably bonded by our many extra-curriculars. While I had all the Church-related stuff after school and weekends, Nicole competed, and competed hardcore, in equestrian events, specially jumping events. I may have mentioned (oh, once or twice) that I was horse-crazy as a kid, but aside from a couple of summer of lessons, it's been a admiration-from-a-distance thing. Here was Nicole, who had a horse of her very own! And competed! And was nice! And wasn't snotty about it like some horse-clique folks were! And who was too busy to deal with some of the usual high school high jinx and popularity contests too!

There there was the trip itself. If traveling internationally in the 1980s, on Soviet-era Aeroflot planes, brushing your teeth with, and drinking, Pepsi, sharing what passed as bathrooms in many hotels with high school boys, rejoicing in landing in Sweden and heading out to the Hard Rock Cafe and McDonalds, and spending hours together on a bus, train, plane, and foreign hotel room doesn't bond you for life, I don't know what will.

After high school, Nicole was one of the few people that actually visited one of the Attic's first locations in Westchester, staying overnight while her company sent her to the City for a conference. Fortunately for me, she is always so kind to make time for a brief catch-up meal or visitation when I do make it back to Connecticut. Her husband Scott, two boys, and lovely Rhodesian Ridgeback Jasmine, are very fortunate in this Disney-loving princess. She's a true gem too.

Top row: Nicole in one of our Russian hotel rooms, meeting up with young Russians, and the hospitality of Communist-era "fine dining";
Bottom row: Nicole's high school yearbook photo, and one of her prom pictures with a very forgettable date who she did NOT marry, her wedding invitation, and a candid of Nicole and Scott at their wedding


Ah yes, what can be said about Auntie Nettie? The first thing that comes to my mind is thoughtfulness. You are the only person (besides my husband) that actually remembers my anniversary. AND you actually send me snail mail in honor of it!!
The second thing I think of is... no way are you 40. It just sounds so crazy. Because if you are 40, then I am right around the corner. And I am just not mature enough to be there yet.

It is hard to believe we have known each other since high school. You were my only artsy friend back then. Oh wait... you STILL are my only artsy friend. ;) I still have a little pin you made me with a horse on it that said good luck that I brought to my horse shows. It is sitting in my office with all my pics of Bruiser [Nicole's retired jumper].

My favorite memory of us is from sophomore year. We were sporting lovely 80's perms... and we were going to RUSSIA!!! There was a mismatch of boys and girls for rooming purposes and we were forced to [share a bath]room with two guys. Why? Because we were the most trustworthy of the group! I am still not sure if that was a good thing or not. ;) That was such an amazing trip. [I] drank WAY too much sugary tea and [we] ate WAY too little actual food.

I am so happy that we are still in touch even though we see way too little of each other. And it is totally my turn to come visit you! Although my suitcase is bigger than your place. I'm just sayin....

Love you lots! Have a wonderful birthday celebration!!!!

Nicole
Спасибо ("spa-see-ba") - Thank-You Nicolai my friend!

No comments: