______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, March 5, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Darling Drew

I don't think it's any secret that I LOATHE having my picture taken.
I also don't think it's any secret that I LOVE my nieces and nephews.
I think it's pretty apparent that I don't live anywhere close to my nieces and nephews.
This leads to interesting personal conflicts.

How to be a role model of a relatively well-adjusted grown-up?
How to not transfer my personal body issues to confident, not-camera shy people?
How to leave a record of your presence so they know who you are,
when months and months and months pass between visits?

I think the latter is the biggest drawbacks to being a long distance auntie. Kids change so quickly when they are younger, and I know that memories can be tricky. Heaven knows that my memories before the age of eight are pretty disjointed. Thank goodness for photos.

(GRRRR Photos)

I'm learning that it's important to make an exception to whole being in photos thing when it comes to the nieces and nephews. I try really hard to get over myself, not make faces, and let them be in the photos with me, or let them take the photos. It's important for them; it's important to leave some evidence behind.

Thanks to my siblings, there are photos of me with the kids when they were younger. The ones here are from Kelli -- who did a relatively good job of culling out the super horrid ones.

As much time as I've spent with Drew recently, this is a fairly newish development. Due to work and life committments, I didn't get to "meet" Drew, until he was about a year old. Here's a quick sampling of our first encounter, and then later in the visit when he was much more comfortable with me. (Poor kid looks scared in that first picture, doesn't he?)


The young mountain goat and I spend a lot of time hiking now. First we warmed up on stairs, then took to the hills. It's all fun and games until Kelli took out the camera.


Eventually Drew even had to share me (and camera time) with Amber

Silly faces run in the family. I took the one on the left, Drew took the one on the right.

Christmas 2011- Snow Canyon. More, taking a picture of you taking a picture of me.

Man, I love that kid.

Even Drew has been able to participate in 40 Diamonds for 40. I need to write him a postcard thank you note ASAP!

No comments: