______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Recipes from Aunt Flora -- Becky's Nestle's Oatmeal Scotchies

I've been a bit busy lately and haven't really had time to stock up the larder. Supplies are running low, and demand from the IT guinea pigs is running high. They keep requesting "crispy" stuff. You would think they would be happy to get ANYTHING, but ...

So, knowing what I had in stock, I flipped through the family cookbook and found this recipe. As long as I could swap out butter for margarine, I figured ... why not?


Nestle’s Oatmeal Scotchies

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
? teaspoon salt (I used a half a teaspoon)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup margarine, softened (I used butter)
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups uncooked oats
12 oz. packaged butterscotch morsels (mine was 11 oz., sneaky!)
(handfuls of chopped pecans)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine margarine, sugar, brown sugar, 2 eggs and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in oats and butterscotch morsels (and nuts.)
Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes.
Makes 4 dozen.


Few comments, the recipe called for salt, but none was in the list of the ingredients. I opted for 1/2 a teaspoon to be on the safe side. I also chucked more nuts in there to up the crunch factor. My oven must run REALLY slow, or the parchment paper makes a difference, because these took closer to 15 minutes to really brown up. There were probably more than 4 dozen cookies, but I had to quality control taste test them. If I didn't, they would have been chewy and not crispy. They did "firm" up the more they cooled, but I seriously baked those suckers.

I hope the boys chip a tooth!

Crispy ... Auntie Nettie .... We like crispy cookies. (**grumble grumble*** ... MUHAHAHAHAHA, I'll show them!)


No comments: