______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, March 23, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Honorary Aunt Diana

Even little notes from people claiming to have nothing new or special to add to the 40 Diamonds at 40 project often reveal little fun and interesting connections.

"Aunt" Diana was one of my mother's college roommates, and one of my first role models for aunt-hood. Mom was an only child, and I can't remember there ever being a time when we didn't call Aunt Diana "aunt." Strangely, none of Mom's other college roommates were ever given this honorific. I remember visits to Ohio to stay with Aunt Diana and Uncle Ralph when we were much younger, and then occasional visitations to CT over the years. Once I got to a certain age, I started to stay in touch with Aunt Diana independent of Mom's communication. Turns out there are shared links -- for many years Aunt Diana was a librarian. In her retirements, she now enjoys crafting and I often get some gorgeous hand-made cards (like the one below).

Most importantly, turns out that my brothers, father and I weren't the only ones to benefit from mom's tendency to wield a mean red pen, to cast a well-honed eye over documents for a stray comma or dangling participle, or to type faster than the speed of light.


Happy Birthday!

- and an apology. I think your 40 diamonds is a wonderful idea. But, I thought and thought and came up BLANK. .... No special memories, certainly no words of wisdom. Fortunately, others have filled in with wonderful contributions. I enjoyed a peek at your blog to see how the project was progressing.

There was a feeling of continuity when I read your friends messages. I was reminded of your mom's and my group of friends of college days. We've been so lucky to stay close after all these years.

Sorry, seems less personal to type, But I've lousy handwriting and cannot spell. I survived college because your Mom typed (and corrected!) my papers.

~ Diana

No comments: