______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Capers with Christine

Today is a very momentous day. Not only is it Christine's contribution to my 40 Diamonds at 40 project, but today is Christine's special "diamond" birthday as well. It's almost ten years to the month that Ms. Christine wandered into Caramoor, was assigned a desk in a shared office with me, and the merriment began.

Have you ever met someone and they fit in to the group as a whole, and your life in particular, like they were always meant to be there? Their humor, work ethic, ideology, and interests just sync up and it's like you always knew them?

I look back and can't believe it's only been 10 years since I met Christine. I can't believe that I haven't known her longer. I actually think we must have known each prior to this realm of existence, and it took until that fork in our life paths to finally cross. After all this time, we're still learning things about each other and probably will for the next 40 years. When we pass on to the next stage of this crazy cosmic conundrum, I really hope I'm assigned a cloud near hers.

I miss not working in the same place and City with Christine, but it's probably just as well. We used to rock the building with our laughter, to the point where we needed to be separated and certain GMs would bang on the floor to get us to quiet down. Even now, I can call her on the phone and leaves voice message of dubious distinction and cause her to crack up. Conversely, she can call me at the Big J and people down the halls come by to see why I'm laughing so loudly. They say laughter is healing and I think we're saving each other from the ridiculous, the incompetent, the bridezillas, WMD disguised as FMB, and people who are absolutely sure that she is their wedding coordinator.

My friend, I cannot thank you for saving me, tolerating me, humoring me, indulging me, traveling with me, driving me, schleping me, feeding me, housing me, amusing me, dealing with me, working with me, and rescuing me.

But enough about me ... You deserve the best. You are the best. You are wonderful, lovely, delightful, and really a true gem of a friend. You are one of the best diamonds in the whole world. May the sun always shine on you, east of the sun, west of the moon, and at the foot of the mountain.

Happy Birthday! I can't wait to party in Avalon in you. May it be the place of rest and enchantment that it's always been to this English major. Now, are you Arthur and I'm Merlin? Actually, I think you are Gawain.



February 21, 2012

Today is an important date for Auntie Nettie and me (well, at least in my opinion). Today marks 9 years and 11 months since we met at Caramoor. Little did I know that she would be and remain such an important spirit in my professional and personal life. Looking back at our almost 10-year history, I can’t help but chuckle out loud and often. I guess you have to be there for most of our adventures and moments of hilarity that only two friends can understand and instantly recall with just a certain look in the eye or gesture. She became my immediate friend and partner in crime. Such a title doesn’t come without a bit of abuse – I still have scars from all the rubber bands she shot at me while I was on the phone! But the comic relief was necessary when work became too stressful and one wanted to bang their head against a very hard surface. I believe in one of the policy and procedure manuals written by Auntie Nettie, there are specific instructions on where and how to do such a task. And when the going got really tough, she bought me lots and lots of potato chips and Diet Coke (what a temptress!)

It’s best that I don’t go into detail about my feelings of dreadfulness and sadness when Auntie Nettie decided it was time to move on from Caramoor. After the dust settled and Auntie Nettie landed at the Big J., our phone conversations continued as if nothing changed. We made plans – lots of plans – and traded work meetings for road trips! I can’t imagine all the experiences I would have missed out if it wasn’t for Auntie Nettie. My birthday weekend in Newport (the laughter, silliness, braving cold ocean waters in March); all the trips to the Botanical Gardens (the walks, the talks); Montauk escape (Manucci’s seafood stew, climbing to the top of the lighthouse, trying to find the Big Duck); and a couple of trips to Cape Cod (bike riding – which I still think she hasn’t forgiven me for, sand between the toes, dreams of another lifestyle, never wanting to leave). But the most memorable moment for me will always be how my dear Auntie Nettie unknowingly fulfilled a 24-year old dream of mine to see one of my favorite music groups – the Norwegian band a-ha! Every song of the “Ending on a High Note” concert performed by Paul, Mags and Morten still runs through my mind. This concert has forever bonded us. There will be times Auntie Nettie is hundreds of miles away and she will text me “just heard ‘Take On Me’…” Of course during all the adventures, it would be wrong of me not to give a shout-out to the Shushing Librarian who’s been a great companion on many of our trips, including ‘rushing the stage’ and getting quite friendly with one of the bouncers at the a-ha concert. Aw, the memories!

I hope that Auntie Nettie and I continue to plan many adventures during the next 40+ years. My travel partner she will forever be. I also hope she is loves her birthday present, which of course is another trip! Here are some of my favorite photos from the times we’ve shared together (which I hope she doesn’t delete!) Auntie Nettie, I love you and wish the absolute best birthday!
(Auntie Nettie says, don't make me stab you with this crochet hook
or I will strangle you with this yarn!)

A very happy girl getting ready to see a-ha!Embracing life on the Cape

Doing her thing at the Botanical Gardens

If Auntie Nettie had a Facebook page, this would be her profile picture.At her favorite beach on the CapeThe two of us chillin' on Montauk

Our favorite view: Sunset on the Cape

1 comment:

CRBosco321 said...

OH, my friend! Your 40 diamonds is a gift that keeps giving back to so many of us. I'm laughing and crying at the same time. You really know how to choke a gal up. And I'm so happy to see that all the photos made the blog! See, that wasn't so painful, now was it? xxoo