______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, February 27, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Letters from Lisa

I have been most fortunate in my career to have shared office space with people that I really enjoy. I have spent, and currently spend, FAR too much at work, so being able to have a good working environment, and enjoy the people you share space with, both personally and professionally, is a true blessing.

Lisa is one of our little trio tucked into a room off the main suite at the Big J, where she has to deal with many varied writing assignments, from speeches, proclamations, to curriculum review analysis, to onerous accreditation studies. She's a published author, an Ivy League PhD, but doesn't make you feel insecure about your lack of similar credentials. Another fellow baker, she offsets her cookie addiction with regular gym visits during lunch. Although I've deserted her lately, I know she's hopeful I'll rejoin her on the 22nd floor, as we work off our considerable stress on rowing machines, reclining stationery bikes, and/or elliptical machines. Out of an unspoken agreement, there is no photographic evidence of our gym trips, so my photo of Lisa is borrowed from her staff portrait in the School newspaper. Outside the office she has an adventuresome spirit, going zip lining on family vacations. Forget bungee jumping, or jumping out of airlines, perhaps I can try zip lining. Lisa did it, so so can I! Thanks for participating Lisa.

Sharing an office with Auntie Nettie has truly been a unique pleasure, as I’ve been able to witness her “in action” on a daily basis. One of the things I most admire about her is that she not only knows the name of seemingly everyone in the building – from the custodians to the “IT guys,” from the security guards to the work study students that come and go – but she also really knows something about each of them, and what makes them special. One of the many things she knows about me is my addiction to peanut butter cookies, particularly the Aramark ones that are served at so many school functions. Since I’m not in the office every day, many is the time I’ve arrived at my desk in the morning to find a few cookies wrapped up in a napkin like a special gift from a fairy godmother. And it’s not only cookies, but books, useful coupons, a beautiful ammonite or handmade Christmas ornament – all offerings that speak to her wonderful generosity of spirit, and that make coming to work more enjoyable.

Not that she’s a saint (well actually, I guess she technically IS a saint, of the latter-day variety) – she can gossip with the best of them, and believe you me, if someone provokes her ire, she won’t keep it to herself. This is just part and parcel of her charm, of course – her humor, her irreverence, her spunk are all part of the package, and we wouldn’t have it any other way. So as she celebrates her big “four-o,” I send her my fondest best wishes for all that awaits her – I hope the next decade is filled with much happiness and fun.

No comments: