______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Recipes from Aunt Flora -- Coffee Raisin Spice Cake

Coffee Raisin Spice Cake

½ cup shortening
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon all spice
½ teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

¾ cup sour milk*

Blend shortening, salt and spices.
Add brown sugar. Cream well.
Add eggs and beat.
Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
Add flour and sour milk, alternating (to sugar/shortening/spice mix.)
Bake in greased pans 10x10x2 at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

*To make sour milk:

For each cup of sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand 5 minutes before using.

In an example of what happens if you don’t read the entire page, you miss the frosting that was supposed to accompany this cake. I was initially confused because it’s called Coffee Raisin Spice Cake and there were no raisins in it, so I added chopped walnuts and raisins to the batter.

For a frosting, I sprinkled butterscotch and white chocolate chips on the cake once I removed it from the oven and then spread them around once they softened.

HAD I read the whole sheet, I would have seen this icing recipe which is what was SUPPOSED to be on this cake.

1 tablespoon shortening
1 tablespoon margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons hot coffee
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon scalded milk
¼ cup ground raisins.


In retrospect, it’s probably just as well I didn’t make the frosting. The container came back from the IT boys empty, so someone did something with it. I had a piece or two for Sunday breakfast and aside from being a bit dry for me, it was fine.



No comments: