______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday Amber!

Happy Birthday my Amberkins!

(Yes, I know you and Ellebelle don't like it when I call you that, but there is a long tradition of aunties getting away with nicknames in this family, so just consider it another legacy that you can't escape. I only do it here, and never in person where it will REALLY embarrass you.)

I can't believe you are 6 already. I mean, come on. You were just a baby, like practically yesterday. Look at you -- you were so cute modelling this onesie (which reminds me, I need to get you a larger one), and all your pretty party dresses.*
Jump ahead a few months, and you were already displaying a preference for red, making silly faces,and showing off your purple outfits, as made by a special auntie in New York. Thanks for making the skirt look good.Even as the months flew by and you grew up before our eyes in photos, I knew you were in my heart, just as we were in yours.
As you grew up, your hair grew longer -- and just like you said on our Skype chat on Sunday -- HEY! our hair is starting to look the same! Except yours still is that lovely shade of brown, and mine is most definitely not anymore.
I'm so glad that we've gotten to spend time together alone, making special crafts,
and talking about all kinds of things.
I'm so glad I'm part of your family.
I'm so proud of how you are being a big sister to Elle,
and now to Mr. Nathan.
Amber sweetie,

I know it's hard to be the oldest, and that you sometimes just want to do your own thing, and dance to the songs that only you hear, and think the deep thoughts that only make sense to you, but then so many people want you to play with them, or help them, and be near you, or with you, or they just interrupt you -- and won't leave you alone, and it just gets to be ... so much. I know. I also know that it's hard starting school in one place with longtime friends and then having to move to a new place and a new school and new church and meeting new people. Really. I do. Once upon a time, when I was just a bit older than you, I had two little people looking up to me, and then we moved away from "home." It's hard, at first, even hard for a long time, especially when it's cold, and grey, and snowy, and school is hard and you have to learn new things and names and places. But it does get warmer, and sunnier, and easier eventually. Give it a bit of time, and the whole big sister thing gets a bit easier too. I can't tell you when, because you have a little sister and a little brother, and despite everything we tried with your Papa, he just wasn't and couldn't be my little sister. (Believe me, we tried!)

Please know this, wherever you are, whatever happens, I am always there for you, cheering you on, loving you with everything I am. You can always call me, contact me, or write me, anytime, anywhere, or any hour, any day. No matter if you are 6, 16, 36, or 66, you'll always be my Amberkins and I will always love you.

Wishing you a happy 6th birthday my love bug,

xo Auntie Nettie
**Thanks to your Mom and Dad for letting me "borrow" a lot of these photos from their websites.

No comments: