______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, February 10, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Awesome Aunties, Aunt Shirley

Even though my grandfathers weren't much of a presence in my life, I was very fortunate to have additional grandparents in the form of great-aunts and their spouses. Aunt Shirley and my late Uncle Preston, shown below in their kitchen, lived just blocks away and attended the same church congregation with us. I don't know if that's why we had the closest relationships, but I harbor quite a tendre for them. Their house is a very special place, with a gargantuan garden with produce ripe from the vine; musical mementos like the cuckoo clock, Uncle Preston's trumpeted tunes, the special clacking spoons, and to the budding musician that I was --- a piano!; a bevy of beautiful birdies; a magical basement with hidden rooms and treasures; and most of all, a sweet sweet spirit imbued by faith and family. Each of my aunties and uncles are lovely in the their own right, but because of who she is, and what she means to me, my Auntie Shirley is the only one allowed to call me by a special nickname*.

Dec. 29, 2011
Dear [Auntie Nettie]*! My pet name for you, and I loved to be the only one allowed to use it. You were as cute as a bug.

You know of our background by observing your Grandmother and will understand when we say we admire your family and take pride in the good person you have become.

Your loving caring way about us is much appreciated. You have gifts of warmth, charity, and find choices of style and dress that you wear.

[Auntie Nettie] … I choose to call you [your nickname] because as a baby and a little girl, I thought you were as cute as a bug.

So Happy 40th year.

Congrats
Love
Auntie Shirley

Come see me when you can
*Because she is the ONLY one who can use it, I'm obviously not going to spill the beans in this post! I'm apparently old enough to know better now that I'm 40.

No comments: