______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Valentine from Daddy

It is said that a girl's first true love is her father, so it's only appropriate that my first love's entry for this project be posted on Valentine's Day.

Despite the nasty face shown below, I know this is exactly where Grumpa diligently spent hours uploading photos and text for this project. He's been my rock for years, through adolescence angst, auto-mechanical adventures, and employment exhaustion, and by staying steadfast in navigating the rapids of sibling and mother/daughter relationships.

I love you Daddy.

In the beginning

The beginning came on a early morning in Logan, Utah, February 1972 with this little bundle arrived with lots of dark hair. (Something that has not changed over the past 40 years. She shares those locks where ever she visits for weeks after she departs.)

It was not until April 2, 1972 that this little girl received a proper name and father's blessing.

The picture was taken that afternoon.

If I remember right the name given had been selected even before she was a gleam in her mother’s eye; a name that goes way back into family history. A name, it was later to be discovered, was 100 years earlier given to another little girl. (AN: That little girl’s headstone still hasn’t been found, poor tyke. RIP 1872-1878).

A better addition to a family could never be found for a first child. Warm, willing to be held, and, in spite of the picture, nearly staved for lack of food for the first months of life. Good thing she has grown up with a desire to share her baking with others. Still loving and warm to all she meets.

Yep, that is my little girl. And always will be!!


Sunday morning before Christmas 1975

If I were not so sure this was my three-year-old, I would think we were in Idaho looking at Miss Amber.

This is at the Logan home with Grandma Roa’s bowling ball Santa looking over your day. Those bowling ball holiday items have been back and forth across the country as many times as you have.

My, how you did like to show off for the camera way back then. I wonder what brought on the desire to stay behind the camera lens? (AN: Adolescence)


Five snap shots in the year of 1976

And you didn’t think you got to travel when you were little. This is also a way to show three different generations of women in your life.

January 1976 just before bed time: Could this be Auntie Nettie with Miss Amber last year? No this is mommy Mary and her special, quiet little girl at a time when being close was good for both. (AN: Mommy Mary is probably keeping an eye out on teeny tiny baby Jed most likely just out of view.)


Great Grandma Cora (Grandpa June’s mother) in what I think is her Delta, Utah house. (I don’t believe that Grandma Cora was up in Ogden at Grandma Roa’s house but I may be wrong.) Interesting that a hair cut took place between Jan. and May. (AN: Probably because Grandmary couldn’t deal with the feet of long hair that I would shed all over the house. This was the first of the short hairstyles I now wear. Also, I'm pretty sure that's a stash of yarn by the chair. What do you know: My addiction to acrylic polybends is hereditary!)


May 1976 at the same location as above (maybe), but not the same day!: This is Grandma Roa (my mother) with you and your brother Jed. Seems you liked each other enough then to sit in the same lap, for at least two minutes.

Our Miss Liberty in the summer of 1976, on her way to a Primary activity for the 4th of July: I think that was the last time you were allowed to pound with sticks on a drum. This is in the back yard of the Logan home.


Why we were traveling in October of 1976 to North Carolina, I don’t remember, but there you are sitting with Grandma Ollie and Grandpa Jack in their living room on the Farm. Grandpa Jack was still getting use to the idea of having happy feet in the house. Grandma Ollie was o.k. with the idea though. (Someday we will share the tractor photo with the world.)


So as you see, travel and parties took up a lot of your time for that year. No wonder you like getting out of the City to explore other places.

Note: Some of those same quilts are in the back room here in Utah even now.

Three more photos to complete this part of your life in review

All children should be so excited to attend first grade as you were to go to the Logan City, Wilson School in 1978. That was back when they wanted to get children into school early and teach them lots.

The hair cut and style was one that really made for a pretty girl.


July 8, 1979 Grandma Ollie made a trip to Logan to see her sisters and the grandchildren.

Looks like she still liked having you sit in her lap.

Always looking for a photo op you were.


Just two years later (October 1981) you were in Willimantic, CT playing the piano, and, even though she is not in the picture, Grandma Ollie was in the side room listening to your musical talents. Many an hour you sat there in the “Piano Room” getting ready for the many programs you performed in, not to mention the other piano and organ playing you were asked to do for high school programs and church meetings. Here you are, not yet a ten-year-old and showing great promise in a field that you have never been far away from since. (AN: Grandma Ollie actually gave me that piano for a birthday and I played the heck out of it. Poor keyboard.)


As your dad this review of your first few years of life has been very rewarding. Too many events to share with the world, but a ton of love to feel from the journey.

I really hope you know how proud both your mother and I are of all you have done, are doing, and have the ability to do, as you move forward in a life waiting for you to find the fulfillment you are looking for.


No comments: