______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, February 2, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: The Ask

Sent out at during the holiday 2011, to a select group of friends and family:

Dear friends and family,

Rather than the traditional Holiday letter, I am instead using the rituals of the seasons to relay and extend a special invitation. But I’m not sure how to word it, or extend it, without seeming completely self-centered, so bear with me.

As you may or may not have realized, a major milestone is rapidly approaching in February 2012. While I’ve been rounding up my age for the last 18 months in preparation,
40 is still going to be a shock to the system.

By this point in life, some people have accumulated degrees, cars, houses, spouses, children, grandchildren, animals, accolades, etc. and so forth. What I seem to have collected most is a coterie of wonderful friends and loved ones—extensions of my far-flung family.

Rather than gifts of “stuff,” which I so don’t need or have room for, I would like to ask you to participate in a type of vanity project. I’m asking 40 people who have known me indifferent eras and aspects of my life, to do a birthday guest post for my blog,what I’m calling:
40 Diamonds for 40.

Some people have celebrated their birthdays by doing marathons, charity drives,or give-aways. I’m looking to do something a little closer to home. My blog, Auntie Nettie’s Attic, is designed to be a loose record of my life, but so far, it has been all from my perspective. If I’m going to leave the nieces and nephews with a well-rounded sense of their Auntie Nettie and this big milestone, then your participation is the gift I’d treasure from you this year.

Since it would be ridiculous to put qualifiers on such a request, all I’d ask is that your entry be PG, not too embarrassing or incriminating, or use too many identifying details like my real name (in order to preserve some sense of internet privacy). If, in the rare instance,you have managed to capture me in a photo, you may use it if you must. I do reserve the right to crop/Photoshop a bit to make me look as good as possible.

I’ll be accepting e-mail submissions that can be cut-and-paste into on-line entries. Good old-fashioned letters are also very welcome. I can retype them when needed. If you have photographs, I can scan, upload, and return them if you can’t attach them in an e-mail.

The posting days will be preferably the 20 days leading up to and 20 days after the actual date in mid-February. If you have a date you would prefer, please let me know that too. However, my mother rightfully gets the actual date, since she had to do all the work. [AN note: With the way things have come in, I'm posting them in order of receipt, except for my parents.]

I realize that this might be an imposition and that you may be uncomfortable with the request. I totally understand if you would prefer not to participate. No feelings will be hurt one way or the other. All I ask is that you let me know if you cannot, or would prefer not to, participate so I can try and get 40 posts together from other people.

With thanks in advance with your help with my
40 Diamonds. I’m really hoping to see a cross section of reminiscences and photos from various stages and aspects of my life. I would also welcome words of wisdom and guidance for the road ahead.

Thanks,



P.S. Should I be scared
or just grateful for my
many friends and family?

No comments: