______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

40 Diamonds for 40: Christina's Contribution

Just a few short years after Jed took the plunge, J decided to add to my bounty of sisters-in-laws. J, as you might have learned from what you've read here, is quite a character, so the young woman who decided to spend eternity with him had to be equally as unique an individual.

From what I recall of that time: J had been back from his mission for a bit, had escaped to the West with all possible haste, and had reentered the college scene, where he got to enjoying his goofy popularity with the ladies in his apartment complex. We knew something was up, especially when Grumpa Max, Grandmary and I visited for Christmas 2000, and he began to be a bit more squirrelly than usual when the subject of his female friends came up. Though he totally tried to duck the subject about a particular "someone," he got really defensive and adamant that we NOT visit a particular Payless Shoe store and ask about any or all blondes. (Ha, don't you think that immediately what Mom and I did, but she wasn't working that day.)

That was my first inclining that something was up. I returned to New York. Life raced by, and then the calls started coming in a few months later. The engagement was on, and the wedding was set for July 2011. Luckily, despite our weird clan, the odd relatives in the extended branches of the family tree, the tux shop burning down the day before the wedding, the rain showers the day of the reception, people in and out of the ceremony and bridal parties, geese goosing the groom, and then years of odd senses of humor, Christina still hasn't run screaming for the hills. Fortunately too, she's not looked too askance at genetic legacies showing up in her children, the wanderlust of her mate, and the permanent arrival to town of her in-laws.

While I haven't lived locally to J and Christina at any point in their married life, I'm so glad that we have had chances to spend quality time together throughout the years -- most recently on our River Trip 2010. I'm so fortunate that Christina tolerates me, despite my issues with the camera, and let me love on her, and her children.

Love you Christina. Have you found a good pedicure place in Moscow yet? Cuz we need spa time ASAP! Miss you lots.



I remember when I first met Auntie Nettie—over the phone of all things. I was getting ready to marry her youngest brother, J. I was nervous because I was 19 and thought that a) she would be so much more mature than me and b) that I would just sound stupid. The phone was kinda just handed to me, but we had good conversation. I came to realize that she was nice and friendly and there was nothing to worry about.

We met in person a few days before my wedding. If the phone call hadn't clarified to me that she wasn't all mature and serious, then spending a little time with her did. She was (and is) a goofy fun person to be around and easy to get along with.

Auntie Nettie is very sharing and caring. She is always sending fun little things—ranging from a article in a newspaper or magazine to stickers to nice gifts—that made her think of J and me. You never know when something fun or interesting (like handmade beards) will arrive in the mail from Auntie Nettie!

One thing about Auntie Nettie is that she is illusive when it comes to getting her picture taken. In most pictures that I have of her, she is behind something or someone either covering her face, flipping you the bird, turning her head, running away, or taking a picture of you back. Here are a couple of examples:


We have gone to some fun places together: Las Vegas (who can forget the Liberace Museum?), Christmas visit to Connecticut, Boston, Butterfly Exhibit, Zion National Park, The Shakespearean Festival—we even got her down whitewater on the Salmon River. I just wish I could find pictures to go along with all of these! Some of these photos are on film (film!) and are buried in the garage somewhere. Others, I wasn't the one with the camera, Auntie Nettie was. It is always fun to go out and explore with Auntie Nettie or to go get a pedicure or a bite to eat. It has been fun getting to know her more and more through her blog. I look forward to hearing what other insights I get from everyone else—and even Auntie Nettie herself.

Happy Diamond Birthday!

No comments: