______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Wild (Mid)west Adventures of the Shushing Librarian - Part 3

The next morning, after a very yummy country breakfast and having been given a large goodie bag of homemade deer summer sausage, jerky, and salsa, B and C followed brother Jesse back to Omaha to reconnect with C’s mom. The plan was to quickly unpack and then repack the Harley for an overnight stay with family in Big Lake, Missouri. C’s cousin, Lisa, along with her husband Tom and their three boys, recently rebuilt their cabin, after a major flood two years. In addition to seeing the new cabin, C and B couldn’t wait to see the family’s newly purchased pontoon boat.

Here’s the cabin. It’s the hangout for C’s family during the hot summers. Many bonfires have taken place here.

Upon our arrival at the cabin, B and C were greeted by aunts, uncles, numerous cousins, and most importantly, Zoe the German Shepard. Everyone was so happy to see C and B arrive safe and sound (and didn’t mind that they were a tad bit sweaty).

Before B and C could even catch their breath, C was whisked away by her mom and “redressed” for a surprise vow renewal ceremony in honor of B and C’s upcoming ninth wedding anniversary. I snuck away for a few minutes to help with the decorations.
Sorry, neighbors. This is a private event. (This sign is super serious!)C’s mom planned the special occasion, with the help of C’s aunt and uncle (who brought the champagne) and C’s cousin-in-law, Steve, who did a lovely job of presiding over the ceremony. The beautiful, late summer afternoon ceremony took place down on the dock, next to the shiny new pontoon boat. The set-up was actually a bit similar to C & B’s actual wedding, which took place on the Long Island shore. (Sadly, I was not in attendance back then, as this pre-dates when Auntie Nettie and I met the delightful Ms. C!)

Here’s the lovely re-bride and re-groom! (They did ... again!)
After the ceremony, the champagne flowed and many toasts were given to B and C. It was a joyous celebration!I, for one, had a lot fun (Maybe a bit too much fun. What’s new about that!?).***C’s family loved me and took me everywhere! They let me drive the boat. (Not really, they've heard about my driving record. Who finked?)They taught me how to dance on the stumps (a "special" family tradition).Since I was a non-family guest, I had this weird thing, were I felt I had to earn my keep at the party. (Too much of Auntie Nettie’s influence, I suppose.) I made myself useful.

I crushed the used cans. (It’s important to recycle).

I chilled the wine and made sure everyone had cold refreshments. As an anniversary present, Lisa and Tom arranged for B and C to stay at their own, private cabin along the lake.Mega Million Lotto tickets were purchased in hopes of hitting the big jackpot. B and C actually won – a whole $7! (Hey, you can't win if you don't play!)It was very comfortable there. I had to take a brief nap.A journal was available for the guests to jot down a few lines about their stay at the cabin. Of course, C wrote an entry expressing our happiness with the cabin.Later on that evening, everyone piled into the pontoon boat for a sunset cruise. Earlier in the day, C’s family noticed some odd behavior out in the lake and found out that Asian flying carp have invaded the quiet waters of Big Lake. Stories of fish nearly landing in the boat and hitting people in the head were described – scary! Still, we couldn’t resist seeing the beautiful sunset over the lake.We managed to go unharmed thanks to C’s brother, Jesse. With his bare hands, he managed to block a two-foot-long fish from trying jumping on board. (My hero!*swoon*)

C’s cousin, Matt, was also using his own scare tactics [patent pending] to keep the fish at bay.
Since nothing could top that, we all retired for the evening. I asked if I could stay with the relatives, so C and B could have some "relative" peace and quiet!


That may have been a mistake. There was no where inside for me to sleep.


Stay tuned for the next installment of my Wild (Mid)West Adventures, to see where they put me up for the night!

*** Please see our early disclaimer.

No comments: