______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Snow Day" Ramblings

Warning: This entry is full of excess silliness toward the end of the post. Chalk it up to the barometric pressure. Or something.

I learned something about myself today. Not only am I more hyper than I thought, but WASP guilt and no distractions make Auntie Nettie a productive girl.

Let’s back up a bit.

Today I was really hoping for a Snow Day. Like really, really hoping, giddy with anticipation, mapping out my list of Snow Day movies and projects, and looking forward to the text at 6:00 a.m., hoping for a Snow Day.

The weather forecasters were making dire predictions about the inches, nay feet, that we might get. New York City administrators geared up to cover their collective butts after the mangling of the Blizzard of Christmas 2010. The mass transit system went on a reduced schedule to preserve trains and tracks. Some school systems were canceling classes/sessions/meetings before flakes flew.

Alas, The Big J did not have a Snow Day. My area of NY got maybe a foot at the most. I could have gotten to the office if I had had to, but boy … am I glad I didn’t.

I came back from vacation remembering how horrid it was trying to commute during snowstorms last year and began to make a plan. Thanks to wonders of modern technology, Internet friends, and product giveaways, I have been doing more personal “computer-things” (yes, that is a technical term) at home. However, the ability to truly, professionally “work from home” for my salaried/insured job was never in my grasp until the New Lenovo moved into the Attic.

Thanks to a few well-placed, okay, CONSTANT bribes of treats this year, and a few late night Skype calls to Big J’s IT wunderboy(s) last week, today was my first day to “work from home.”

And you know what? I was actually much more productive working from home than I am in the office.

Mostly it was guilt – the fear that someone would swivel my office desktop screen to see what it was I was working on (which no one would actually do). Or it might have been something else all together.

There were certainly fewer distractions – no one walking my outside my cubby, no one walking up to the coffee machine, no one filing in my direct eye line, no treats on the office shelf to go over and taste test, and no long hike down the halls to a clean bathroom, which only encouraged me to stop by other offices and engage with other colleagues.

Time clicked by and I barely seemed to notice the clock -- whereas in the office time is marked by the morning mail delivery, lunch/gym /errand time, the afternoon mail delivery, the 3:00 p.m. stir-crazies, and then the sssssslooooooow movement of the clock from 4:45, to 4:50, 4:55, to last the run to the bathroom, to THANK THE DEAR SWEET LORD it’s 5:00 p.m. let’s blow this pop-stand, run for the train.

All of this is AFTER the morning commute where I would have had to fight for a space to stand on the one crowded local train an hour that was running from my part of the ‘burbs into the City, and the schlep and dodge through the subway that would have put me in a foul mood to begin with. THEN I'd only get to do it all over again, in reverse, with MORE cranky people. (Don’t even get me started with the Oh-It’s-a-Snow-Day Let’s-go-to-the-City-DumbA$$ tourists!)

I was actually up, presentable, logged on, and communicating with the office long before 9:00 a.m., and then, for some reason, I worked until 8:00 p.m. More of my annoying months-long, never-ending project actually got done in one day than I’ve managed to do in weeks. My trips to the bathroom took seconds, and I was back on the desk schlogging through data -- data that requires close concentration when you are comparing a series of 13-digit GL codes to other notations and GL codes. I also answered e-mails in seconds rather than letting them stack up in the in-box (which I should have cleaned out too).

I still ate lunch at my desk, but my environment sure smelled and felt better. There were no competing aromas, like my office-mate’s curry wafting everywhere or the odor of reheated fish (really people? REALLY!?). There was no lunch-hour office politics, like the mystery of why some people seem to think they get to take 2-hour lunches while others do not, or why some people get invited to lunch and others don’t.

Not today. Today lunch smelled of the brownies and brittle I made for the IT boy(s) who made this day possible. (Well under my allotted hour, thank you very much!)

As for all those other Internet distractions that I usually surf to avoid work – blogs, infotainment sites, and Twitter? I kept looking at those to a bare minimum, or read them during my lunch hour/baking break. In the office, I’d rather be surfing than working. (Regular readers of this blog/my e-mail friends and/or people who know me could probably attest to this.)

Now I can totally understand why some people telecommute.

Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t want to do this everyday. I can see how it can be isolating and how you lose the social bonds that come along with working in an office, not to mention how perceived "special arrangements" like this can cause office tensions.

But if I have major projects like this, or proposal research/writing to do? And if I’m not transporting sensitive materials like patron information, checks, or proprietary data?

I’m totally going to work from home more often.

Again, my dear friend Casey and Lenovo who made this possible?

SUPER HUGE TREMENDOUS THANK YOUs!

Special thanks to:

Dave, you know who you are – you don’t have to share if you don’t want to.

Molly at 711 – thanks for not commenting on how I look before I have hair and makeup done. Nettie
needed her Big Gulp of Diet Coke, no matter the weather! (That's the one thing I forgot to stock up on.)

Mr. Visine Bottle – Thanks for being full. 12 hours at a computer is not good for me, but you made it better. (Although, Note to Self: It is time to see the eye doctor. One can only ZOOM so much on some screens.)

And most importantly Mother Nature and Jack Frost. Thanks for the WORK DAY! (to be read sarcastically)
Another foot over this area of NY next time, please. Montauk and CT don’t want any more.

1 comment:

moosh in indy. said...

I love it when you speak in GL codes.

And I am over the moon that the computer went to the right person and that you now have the option to do just this when you need to.

After seeing and walking and schlepping your commute? A day at home on occasion is exactly what you need and deserve.

Besides, I'd go broke walking through the food stuffs in Grand Central everyday...go home and cook? Like hell.

xoxo