______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, January 28, 2011

Letters from Ollie J - Jan. 28, 1982 & 1996

I think this is the first time (at this point), where we have two letters on the same date - but more than a decade apart.

The first is from 1982, when I was about 10. We must have seen each other over the holidays and I must have been a brat, because I'm apologizing for being one.

28 Jan 1982

[probably from
The Farm
Pikeville, NC]

Dear [Granddaughter],

Your letter was welcomed and appreciated.

Surely I’ll forgive you. Your actions weren’t to[sic] [crossed out/illegible] nice Christmas. We all feal[sic] different[sic] at time. But don’t help to let it show.

Be happy and show it and the world will be a nicer place to live.

Love your work and it seems to get done quicker.

Take care of yourself.

I love you and think you are nice.

Grandma

It's nice to see that some sort of personal progress had been made in the intervening years. Not quite such a brat if I'm suggesting going to see grandma instead of making her deal with airports and weather.

Sadly, I never did get the hang of making those biscuits, or the recipe.


28 Jan 1996

[The Farm
Pikeville, NC]

Dear GrandDaughter

Thank you so much for thinking of Me and sujesting[sic] coming t[sic] GrandMa’s For Christmas.

So proud to have you all. Was a big change for me. No Rush or scramble. Glad you enjoyed your short time here. Thanks for the Gifts etc.

So glad the gloves came in handy. Must have had inspiration.

Glad all got home Before the Blizard[sic] of 1996 Came. We had wind some snow and COLD so ice was added. Power lines and trees were covered. Like ferry[sic] land to look at But awful to get around on. Sun shine made it sparkle.

Then we have rain ever other day. High winds some too.

Thankful no accidents in Family.

I have sniffles No other Bug at present.

Helped Paint Kitchen in a Trailor[sic] Friday and No heat in it. Sure hope don’t get sick. Will ask more questions before accept another Job. Girl is trying to get a place to live before Baby arrives. Trailor[sic] looked fair to good on outside But What a mess in side. May even Leak when rains. Not sure is livable. But she is trying. Husband is in Drug Re hab place. So No help.

I Helped lady quilt part of two days last week. I love that work. No one has brought me a quilt this year. Some have ask but not got it here.

Need to get Mufler[sic] on car one on it is to[sic] noisy. Always something. If one Rides.

Wind has been cool today.

Your Mom said Jed’s Job wasn’t what he thought it was. You probelly[sic] heard that.

Am sure you can make biscutes[sic] after a Few triles[sic].

Thanks again for gifts and your visit made Christmas more enjoyable to share it with you.

You have probley[sic] cought[sic] up with your work by now.

Still keep being very careful with your driving.

Pictures were nice Thanks.

Thanks for Readers Digest The second one came yesterday. So this gift will last a long time.

Your mom was working over time too. Test to watch students take When I called yesterday. Will be exra[sic] pay though. Your dad was home said all was moving along well.

Take Care of Your self.

I LOVE You

Grandma

No comments: