______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

From Luddite to Lenovo-lover

Hi! My name is Auntie Nettie, and, for the last decade or so, I'm been a semi-Luddite in my personal life.

Because of an overly active professional life, I had made a decision to let technology pass me by during most of this decade.

Outside of the office, that is. Let's just clarify. I wasn't THAT out of touch.

At all of my various jobs, I was in-touch -- an information professional fully wired into the WWW, surfing full-speed down the information superhighway, cresting the waves tossed up by Google, surfing and clicking away through databases/libraries/sites ... and many times teaching others. Between the many gigs, the homework, the papers and proposals, and the teaching and teching, I was overwhelmed. My poor little state-of-the-art (from the tail end of the last century/millennium), dial-up-modem, 10 lb. PC laptop just couldn't hack it anymore. So, once I left the offices, I was on a much-needed break from technology.

However, in the last year or so, I've realized that has to change.

Beyond the need to be able to telecommute, I realized that I really shouldn't be relying on my work PC/office file server to store my digital photolibrary or all my personal non-work documents. I realized that it was probably a better use of my working hours to concentrate on my responsibilities than to catch up on my infotainment, post to my blog, or reading other people's content. I also felt that it probably wasn't a good idea to do work for your other job(s) while at your main employer, so running my side businesses, or getting ready to go online with them? A no-no! Plus, there was the whole issue of wanting to Skype all the far-flung nieces and nephews in various time zones. There was no way to justify me getting wired for Skype on the office computer. Not even a little.

So, I had started to think about getting a computer for home. I knew I would need storage --actually LOTS of storage; a hi-speed Internet connection and/or wi-fi; definitely a disc drive that would play/burn to DVDs; new and up-to-date software programs; not to mention web-cams, speakers, and mics. Alas, all of this would also require research and funding. None of which I really have/had time to invest.

For an information professional, I'm woefully inept when it comes to technology. Most of the upgrades made in my life have been due to other people being annoyed that I hadn't joined the modern world. If I hadn't already gotten cable, the government would have forced me off the rabbit-ear antennae with their recent format changes. The shift from a tape player to a CD player? A friend and her mom. The shift from shooting on a 35 mm film camera and to my current banged-up/taped-together Nikon digital? Santa Claus/Birthday Fairy. I did manage to move myself over from a discman to an MP3 player/iShuffle, but that's not saying much. (I'm not getting rid of my VHS tapes yet, thank you very much!)

Some other things you should know about me:

I'm not really that impulsive.
I'm mostly a lurker on other people's blogs.
I'm majorly passive aggressive.
AND
I never win anything. (Of course, you can't win if you don't play.)

Oh, and I'm not a major blogger. I'm not even a medium-sized blogger.
I'm a teeny, tiny, blink-and-you-miss-her-blogger. Heck. Most of my immediate family doesn't even read this thing.

Also, I don't link to advertisers, so obviously I don't get advertising sponsorships. Companies don't ask me to try out/hawk/laud/critique their products. And I'm fine with that. That's what the big girls are for -- people like Casey, over at mooshinindy.com.

I've read Casey's blog for a couple of years now, and have mostly lurked, with an occasional comment from time to time. I've been moved and amused by her, and marvelled about her courage in sharing alllll kinds of things. Our lifestyles are a little different, so most of her product giveaways haven't really applied to me.

All of that changed one day in July ... with four little words.

Win a Lenovo A70Z

Remember how I said I wasn't impulsive, how I usually lurked on blogs, and how I never win anything?!

To this day I don't know what made me click through to the comments, or where the words came from. I wrote something pithy, hit Send, and forgot about it for a while. Because, you know. I never win things. I got on with my busy (and illness-filled) summer. I checked back on the contest a while later and saw that it had closed.

Oh well, I thought. Just like I figured. I never win things.

Since this was actually the second time I had tried to win a computer via a blog, I didn't think much about the contest after that. Even AFTER I got an vague and ambiguously worded e-mail from Casey.

A few weeks later, a HUGE box showed up in my office. FOR ME! What? IT'S A COMPUTER FOR ME! Casey and Lenovo made my year!

Ask and ye shall receive indeed ... I'm not ashamed to admit that there was gushing and embarrassingly girlish high-pitched squealing, plus some e-mails to Casey saying things like ARE YOU SURE? I'M NOT WORTHY! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Before she could change her mind and contact the company to have it shipped to someother deserving commenter, I hauled that thing back to the Attic studio and unboxed it.


I have to say -- it was better than some of my recent Christmas/Birthdays combined! (Sorry friends and family. A new gift of a computer? Seriously trumps you ALL!)


It was as easily to set-up as promised, and is compact enough to not be intrusive on the worktable.

I'm still working my way through all of the software installations -- made much easier now that I'm connected to the Internet. My semi-Luddite status is probably something that computer manufacturers like Lenovo aren't too familiar with. You can't completely do primary installations without an Ineternet connection. My one piece of feedback: Don't assume everyone is au courant and connected.

Here's a side by side comparison of the old and new computers.
left: another computer company PC lap-top c. 1998-2000 -- large/heavy/old/expensive
CD drive/dial up modem/no ethernet connection
right: NEW FREE Lenovo! SOOOO shiny and new and pretty and modern.

I'm proud to say that this is my first blog post from the Lenovo ThinkCentre ... in my studio ... using media stored on my own desktop. As I'm typing, I'm listening to my iTunes library, and music is pouring out of my speakers. I have two different e-mail accounts open, while on another tab, I have my new Twitter account keeping me posted on friends. My Skype account is set-up and ready to call a friend in London that I haven't talked to in two years. (Darn time zones!) PLUS, while I'm doing this my external hard-drive is busily uploading all my personal files and photos from the work computer into all of the storage room I have. What a change!

Finally: This photo? Is of Casey in the Market at Grand Central Terminal in August 2010, when she came out to visit for the Blogher Convention. How could I not arrange to see her and say thank you in person? She even got to come to the studio and see the Lenovo in its new home. Thanks to her Verizon Wireless MiFi Card, we both got to connect to the Internet before I could get set-up via my cable provider.

Hi! My name is Auntie Nettie, and I've finally entered the 21st Century. I'm in love with my Lenovo ThinkCentre. We're going to be holed up in the Attic here for a while, getting to know each other. I'd say respect our privacy during this time, but that would be weird....

Thanks to Lenovo for the give-away and to Casey for being connected
!

2 comments:

moosh in indy. said...

It couldn't have gone to a better home.
Just remember the little people when you take over the world. ;)
I'm so happy our paths crossed from thousands of miles away. You're a darling. (A darling with a grown up twitter account!)

Flax Hill Gardener said...

I would like to thank Casey, too! Now you can see the emails I send you after work hours. :) Think of all the facinating facts you can look up on the World Wide Web while watching Battlestar Galactica or something like that!