______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Recipes from Forgotten Bookmarks: Johnny Appleseed Bars

Are you like me and secretly delighted when you find objects tucked into the pages of your library books? I've found things like train schedules, bookmarks, empty gum wrappers, and library patron receipts. My favorite was a really lovely poem that I've had embroidered to hang over my bed.

I know I've not the only one fascinated by what people leave behind in books. I remember spending a whole evening of one of my Library Science classes talking about this. We talked about what was cute, how sad some things were, and then the subject turned to the disgusting. (There's the archetypal story of the raw piece of bacon.) Beyond the classroom, many a listserv conversation explored the lost and left behind in the library books. Now a days, there are also many a blog dedicated to this subject.

It's not just librarians who find things in books. Used booksellers have their own tales to tell. One of them, Michael, has started a blog called Forgotten Bookmarks.

I was browsing the blog one day recently. My thoughts had turned to baking, as a hint of fall was in the air. I was also in an adventuresome mood, ready to take a safe risk ... so when I saw this recipe, I decided to take a chance on ...

Johnny Appleseed Bars

1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c oats
2/3 c brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together and press half of dough in 9" square pan [I used a 8x8 pan]

Sprinkle with 1 c nuts 2 c thin sliced apples [I ended up using 3-5 apples to get about 2 cups]

Spread rest of dough over nuts and apples, press down with pancake turner and smooth top

Bake 350 degrees - 25 min.

Cool and sift conf. sugar [skipped the powdered sugar]

Cut in bars


Since I had to compress this recipe into a smaller pan, the cake was really thick. I didn't even try to cut it into bars. Plus, when I tried to flip it out of the pan, it started to crumble. Instead I just divided it in half and tucked it into Ziploc containers for various friends at the Big J.

No one complained about the messiness of the baked treats. Apparently, it was better as a crumble than a set of bars. The reports I got was that all the flavors blended together in a big apple crumble yummy delight.

Could be eaten at room temp with a side of yogurt, or heated up and served ala mode.

Since I just went apple picking I'm going to try it again, but doubled on the dry ingredients. I'm also going to bake it in a 13x9 pan. Hopefully that will yield thinner bars.

1 comment:

Annie Wang said...

Loved seeing this because I made it too! (http://fritesandfries.com/post/1645298226/johnny-appleseed-bars)

Mine didn't crumble but I did find out that it doesn't refrigerate too well.