______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Montauk Roadtrip - Things that Quack'd me up

Last week, Auntie Nettie played hooky and took a road trip with her friend Christine out to the tip of Long Island. It was lovely to get away, spend time catching up, hanging out by the sea and surf, and to eat some delicious food. You'll see pictures of that later, along with The Shushing Librarian's version of events. In the meantime, here are some pictures of things along the road that quacked me up.

Every roadtrip HAS to include some off-beat roadside attractions. So, we hit the mother of all road side oddities, the bird that lent its name to a specific style of architecture --
According to the brochure: "Duck buildings are highly sculptural forms which represent products or services available within, as opposed to the more common "decorated sheds" which are plain buildings whose functions are revealed by added signage. Designed to mesmerize passing motorist and entice them ultimately to a purchase, ducks are fantastical while retaining their purely practical intentions. The Big Duck has become the most famous example of roadside architecture." We skipped a few other oddities on the roadtrip, including the Cement Sphinx, and took quite a few round abouts to make sure we saw The Big Duck. Having grown up near The Whale and a couple of Muffler Men, and now a native of a town with gigantic frogs perched on spools of thread, you have to embrace the folkiness. If you don't get off the interstates, you miss things like:For some reason, neither Christine nor I thought to go to the Cafe to see what the menu was like for dinner.

Nor did we stop by this establishment to see what the going weekend rates were for the off-season.

We were just a little scared by the gargoyles and the GIANT tiki.

We also were delighted by this vintage postcard that was on display at the Montauk Lighthouse (more on that later). For some reason you think that writing was so formal in the "olden days," but this could have been written just recently.

"This is a lighthouse - ain't it? Eva is scolding me for writing "ain't it" but I am getting used to her abuse! Some day she will regret when she [illegibile] my hair white with the trouble and worriment. She is looking over my shoulder as I write it so don't tell her."

So fun. Can't wait to see what other oddities are out there to discover ... When's the next roadtrip?

No comments: