______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Recipes from Ollie J -- Baked Beans

I don't normally associate my southern grandma with baked beans, but those North Carolina winters can be just as bitingly cold as the New England ones. Wish she had indicated which kinds of beans and syrup...

Old Fashioned Baked Beans

4 cups cooked, dried beans
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 cup dark syrup
2 tblspn butter
1/2 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup catsup
3 slices bacon

Put all ingredients, except bacon into a large casserole dish, mix well.
Place bacon slices on top.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.
Yields 4-6 servings.


I thought about attempting this one, then decided that I would simply include it here for archival purposes instead. That's a lot of baked beans to make and then eat. Sharing it with neighbors and colleaques would be okay, but then I'd have to have a side order of Beano around for them too.

No comments: