______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, April 9, 2010

Letters from Roa S - April 9, 1995

I'm finally done cataloging, transcribing, and archiving my grandmothers' various letters to me ... the ones that I had the foresight to save and survived various moves/purges. I wish I could travel back in time and admonish my younger self to treasure this correspondence. To see a relationship of such importance summed up in such a small amount of paper is so bittersweet--especially now that I have enough "wisdom" to put some perspective on my life and theirs, and to realize how more I value them, their time, and their advice.

The timing of this missive is poignant, especially given the events of this week, a mere nine years later.


4-9-95

[Ogden, UT]

Dear [Granddaughter],

At last I have to send a card so I’ll write a little note.

We are having snow today its having a hard time to see what it should be doing. The sun was out a while ago. They have been saying we would have snow it looks like the mountains has got quite a bit this afternoon. It’s also cold.

Jerry [my aunt] is doing lots of things she is getting [illegible] up ready for Cindy’s [my cousin] wedding doing flowers for people & making porcaline[sic] dolls she made a little boy doll for Cora [my other aunt] its Kavin[sic][Cora's companion, now husband] he got her one for Xmas they realy[sic] were cute.

Cindy & Dan [Cindy's husband to be] came down & the kids just left they were going to the store Jerry cut DJ’s [Cindy's son] hair. We don’t get to see them very often. Cindy has worked a lot of 10 hr shifts & they are trying to buy a house. The kids go to day care at 3 o’clock & Cindy picks them up when she gets off work. I hope things go OK for them.

I’m glad your Dad is going to get to come and see us. It will seem good I know I call to[sic] often but I get low some & when I don’t feel so good it helps to talk to someone else. I’m doing a lot better. I should go back to work but I guess I’m not quite ready yet.

I’m glad you are happy with what you are doing. I wish someone could help Jed to find something he would be happy with, then it would take the worry off your folks.

I’m watching Sound of Music the Music is so nice I think I like this as well as any show I’ve seen.

Aunt Teddy [Roa's sister-in-law] leaves for England for a month on Tuesday (quite a lady).

Don’t work to[sic] hard & have a good Easter.

Love
Grama

1 comment:

testmonkey said...

My vote is to lose the [sic]'s—I know why they're there, but it kills the readability flow of the transcription.

My 2¢ anyway. :)