______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, April 16, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - April 1984

No postal mark or date to indicate when this was sent in April. I'm putting it here to contrast with the ones from later in her life. I was about 12, and, apparently, a put-upon tween.

April 1984

[Temple Mission
Kensington, MD]

“God Bless you. The devil miss you.” ~Sister Benson

Dear [Granddaughter],

How’s my granddaughter to night?

Reading a good book? What ever hope you are happy. May you always find plesure[sic] and happiness in your work or play. It helps lots if you do love what you are doing.

Yes things get rough. Mother isn’t as kind as could be some times. Maybe she is tired or don’t feal[sic] so good either. Then those brothers. Well they love you even if they tease or pick on you. Laugh with them and they will soon be on their way. How do I know – why I had two brothers also. They could pick at me and really anoy[sic] me when I cooked a cake they’d pick the corner. So when I got the icing on it was raged[sic] on edges. I learned to accept the fact “I was cooking it to eat.[“] So what or when it was eaten. Didn’t really didn’t matter so much. Love them they will be your friend for eternity.

Love your music and work hard at it because you enjoy it. Not because Parent nag you to practice. It’s a talent not every one has.

Honey I love you. Your Parents love you. Your brothers love you (I know they may not always show it). Our Father in heaven loves you. Your grandpa loves you very much. Yes I expect granddad [Jack] loves you. May you continue to grow into a happy loving caring young woman.

Take care.

Love Always

Grandma

No comments: