______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - April 10, 2000

I can't believe it's been ten years since I got this. This is toward the end of Ollie's life, after the accident in 1998 where we almost lost her, and which irrevocably changed her from the independent woman she had been for so long. It's not to say she wasn't stubborn, oh no! It justn' wasn't as feasible for her to live on her own. After a period of her living in Utah with her sister, there were many different housing arrangements until the end. The trailer was a compromise between Grandma living by herself, and being away from the farm and closer to family who could keep an eye on her. I know that my mother and the rest of my family are so grateful to Mom's cousin Carol and her large brood, as well as the rest of the extended clan for keeping an eye on Aunt/Grandma Ollie during these last difficult years.

The effects of the accident and her many ongoing health issues show up in her confusion about my birthday, but you see the stubborn streak in how she is determined to keep up with her routine, her quilting, her "visitin'," and her puttering around outside.

10 Apr 2000

[The Trailer
Pikeville, NC]

Dear GrandDaughter,

You are a juil[sic].

Think your Birthday has sliped[sic] by of late.

Oh thanks For the Bird House Feeder. My Southern Birds haven’t really done to[sic] much with it yet. Maybe I keep other Feed out to[sic] much. Oh its Different will take a while getting use[sic] to it. Same way with the Reath[sic] Feeder you set[sic]. Thanks lot for your Thoughtfulness.

Hope your plans for the Future are materializing nicely. And you will enjoy the change.

Paula [Cousin Carol's daughter] changed From Work at Pork Center to what she trained For and was doing before she went on her mission. She love the work. Drawing designs For store Advising I think. Also she has rented a Trailor[sic] and Moved and Loves it.

Family Loves extra space at home.

She isn’t to[sic] Far from home. Don’t think Leatha [another of Cousin Carol's daughters, named in honor of Grandpa Jack] knows what she wants to do. Talking of Mission now.

I went down to see Henry and Virginia [Ollie's younger brother and s-i-l] yesterday. They are doing fairly week. Rained on way home. We were glad of rain Now tack[sic] of cold to Freezing tonight. I Hope garden can stand it.

I Hope to Finish my quilt tomarrow[sic]. Don’t like to[sic] much having it quilted.

Went to church 6 April and got the dedication of Palmira[sic] Temple. Oh it was special service.

How time Flies this month is almost gone already.

I Feal[sic] Fairly good most of time now. Sleep lots at time. Work at or in yard pulling weeds or doing out side what need doing. Good to Feal[sic] like it.

Take Care Do have a good Birthday. Loads of love an[sic] Thanks for everything.

Love

Grandma

No comments: