______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Recipes from Ollie J -- Company Pickles

This is really another entry for the family recipe archives. It assumes that you know how to can -- which was really a misnomer, as you use glass jars. My mother stopped canning years ago. It's a hot, long process ... one that I'm not in any way eager to learn.

I'm pretty sure that the Bettie who gave Grandma Ollie J this recipe was her youngest sister. Grandma was the oldest of eight surviving siblings: Ollie J, Hyrum, Shirley, Ruby, Dorothy, Henry, Betty, and Martha. Their eldest sister, Rachel, died in infancy before Grandma was born.

With this many children, they grew a lot of their own food, including, I'm assuming, their own cucumbers. If you add in the time it takes to grow the cucumbers and then make these pickles, it's a commitment of at least a season or so.


Company Pickles

20 medium cucumbers
8 cups sugar

2 tblspn spices
(pickling?)
5 tspn salt

4 cups vinegar


Cover cucumbers with boiling water.

Let stand until next day.

Repeat on next three mornings with hot water.

On the 5th day, drain and slice 1/2 inch pieces cucumbers.

Now combine sugar, spice, salt and vinegar.

Bring to boil and pour over cucumber.

Let stand two days.
On the 3rd day, bring to boiling and put in jars hot and seal them.


7/12/70 Bettie


After working on these pickles for more than a week, you had to be good company to deserve to get to eat them! It's not that I don't like you enough to work on the pickles for eight days, but let's be realistic. It's easier to walk to 711 and buy some Vlasics.

No comments: