______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Teaching Item of the Week

The next in our almost weekly learning series, brought to you courtesy of The New York Public Library Desk Reference, Fourth Edition.

Can you guess our “theme” today?

Page 343:

In the 10th century, the Grand Vizier of Persia took his entire library with him wherever he went. The 117,000-volume library was carried by camels trained to walk in alphabetical order.

Page 300-301:
Peter Celestine is the patron saint of bookbinders, while St. Jerome is the patron saint of librarians.

Page 357:
Libraries in the U.S. issue more cards than VISA, have more children enrolled in summer programs than Little League, and have more visitors each week than all museums and zoos combined.

If you don't already have a library card (or two or three), GO GET ONE!
Get your children their cards. GO to the library -- use the resources, check out books, check out CDs and DVDs, GO TO STORYTIME, and for heaven's sake, ask the librarians for help! THAT IS WHY THEY ARE THERE!

8 comments:

testmonkey said...

Worried about job security?

(heh - me too.)

And I agree with your summary except one point: don't ask a St. George librarian much. They are there simply to turn oxygen into CO2.

Kristin.... said...

um...libraries? :)

Susan said...

Apparently you've never made it to the Spanish Fork Public Library. I have and that is one library I'm NEVER taking my kids to AGAIN!

Anonymous said...

So...what you're saying is that it doesn't matter whether we go to the library or not. And we should never ask a librarian for advice on anything as they will only stare at us like we are complete morons. Got it. You've made your point loud and clear.

Auntie Nettie said...

@people -- I should make this professional note. Most people employed by libraries are not degreed Master of Library and Information Sciences individuals, and as such, are not technically librarians. Most people employed by libraries are paraprofessionals or clerks, i.e. some circulation assistants, etc. Some are even volunteers or pages. The degreed librarians are usually administrators, reference librarians, and or the head of the children's library, etc. That is not to say that the paraprofessionals aren't equally as qualified or know more than those people holding the MLS. (Don't start me up on this conversation -- it's all over the professional literature, listservs, and blogs).

Please note also, Librarians are paid CRAP or even less CRAP for the most part (and it may be worse in the West) and are usually in the field for love of books, people, information or some combination of the above. The public librarians work long hours, on what ever tiny bit of money that YOUR tax money is alloted them. If you feel that your local librarian isn't helpful -- then lobby for more resources to be thrown their way. If they got paid more, maybe they would be more motivated to help you, get more more training, or the library could bring in more qualified people. Plus, maybe it was just a really bad day for them.

Rant over.

Opinions are strictly my own.

Just go get a card and use the joint already.

(I'm in a really bad mood, so don't get me going -- and I mean YOU h2o!)

testmonkey said...

@water: now look who's upset Auntie.Goodness indeed!

Anonymous said...

It seems I have upset you slightly. My sincere apologies. Please forgive me for my smartassy-ness. Sometimes it hinders my ability to think clearly when typing these comments.

ps- I only needed to see the size of that rant to realize that I was in hot water. Get it? Get it?

Auntie Nettie said...

OY to the vey folks!

While I was serious about all of my points (get a card, love the librarian, lobby for more money), my snark/seriousness/sarcasm meter WAS registering for everyone's comments. I KNOW/KNEW you're kidding, but it's an important subject to discuss or in my case, slightly rant about.

And, H20, about the punning -- really? You've been hanging out with monkey boy too dam long. (See -- I can do it too.)