______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, December 26, 2015

How I'm Spending My Christmas Vacation


 Merry Christmas!

I hope you enjoyed all the time with family and presents under your tree.

I'm taking this holiday break off from travel, sleeping in, 
doing laundry on Christmas morning, chilling, 
taking a few days off from even working from home, 
and spending it binging on vintage movies, 
Doctor Who marathons, talking to people via technology,
working on back-logged UFO crafting projects,
enjoying a stigma free Christmas dinner of pizza and beer,
and FINALLY moving furniture and trunks that 
haven't been moved in 10 years to change out a tv for a new tv. 
A tv that's been sitting on my floor since it came back from DC in AUGUST.

(EWWWW. My carpet is gross. 
Good thing I'm putting the trunks back in the exact same spots to hide it.)
 Kids, when you open time capsules from the past, you find old technology.

This is a metronome and an answering machine.
I'm keeping one and recyling the other.
Can you guess?

Enjoy YOUR break. 
I'm also spring cleaning since it's humid enough to turn the air-conditioning on.
In New York
ON CHRISTMAS WEEKEND.

Spring cleaning. In capris.
In air conditioning.
In Late DECEMBER.
What is this? 
Seattle?

2015 Classic Christmas Movie Binge:

White Christmas with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Rosemary Clooney c. 1954
Thoughts:
  • It's not Christmas until I watch this movie;
  • I want Rosemary Clooney's dressmaker to come fit me;
  • "What is Christmas with no snow?" As asked by Bing, Danny and Rosemary via YouTube;
  • The mysteries of White Christmas: what happened to the General's kids that his granddaughter is living with him alone in VT w/a housekeeper?
The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant and David Niven c. 1947
Thoughts:
  • One of my favorite things about this movie on VHS is the inclusion of the non-trailer. They try so hard not to spoil it.;
  • "Nobody expects him to be normal. He's a bishop." Truer words were never spoken.  (Pastors' kids' humor!);
  • "X sent in $15." "We had them down for $10,000." Honestly, this movie is REALLY a tale of frustrated fundraisers during a stymied capital campaign.;
  • "Tell me about you." Classic relationship building technique. Though usually the solicitors are the ones crying in frustration.;
  • "some horrid little brass plaque" Ha, this whole scene about naming rights, a wealthy donor, & a v. patient fundraiser ... strike a little too close to home;
  • "Did you have a profitable afternoon?" "Not particularly. Did you?" Fundraisers' conversations everywhere, verbatim;
  • Seriously. If Cary Grant was a solicitor for my capital campaign or other fundraising efforts, we would hit all our goals; 
Desk Set with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn c. 1957
Thoughts:
  • "I have been forced to work in an atmosphere of hatred & suspicion." Ha! An angry rant of many public servants & frontline workers.; 
  • The epic drunkenness and shenanigans of the company Christmas party is ... hic... Epic. Hic. Bon Voyage!  Wheee!!!;
  • I love how this is basically about trained reference librarians vs IT engineers. Librarians for information literacy & authoritative sources for the win.;
  • I have apartment envy for Ms. Watson's Upper East Side apartment just off 75th/Lex, esp. the built-ins for her books & her oven.;
  • "Not Ms. Watson? "Well she runs it, but he's the boss." - library admin stereotypes that are hopefully changing; 
  • "Maybe we're getting that air-conditioning finally." "Figures, it's November." - the librarian facility struggles endure;
  • How many librarians (current, lapsed, future) watch this movie & get unrealistic impressions about office space, salaries for housing/clothes?;
Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck c. 1945
Thoughts:
  • The "I'm tired" rant at the end of this is the best, esp Barbara Stanwyck's summation gestures. "In short... I'm tired!";
  • "I am not in a flipping mood this morning." You tell them Elizabeth. You tell your boss to "flip" off.;
  • Felix is probably my fav chef, with The Swedish Chef coming in a close second. Was Felix was the inspiration? Maybe;
  • "Some people say yes. Some people say no." "What do you say?" "I am inclined to agree with them." I LOVE this conversational detour.; and
  • MY Christmases in Connecticut certainly NEVER looked like this;
An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, c. 1957
Thoughts:
  • What I really love the best about this movie, is that you don't even need to hear the dialogue, the non-verbal action is on point;
  • "How do you get to Tomorrowland? (Tomorrowland). Close your eyes. Make a wish. And, you're there.";
  • Oh no, Terry. Don't forget to look both ways before running across traffic. Something viewers shout every time we watch;
  • "Everybody's doing it." "How nice for you. In your case, we'll make an exception." Quips. So many quips;
  • Deborah Kerr's face when she flicks the champagne at the ladies at the bar is everything. I love the little gestures;
  • and Cary Grant is just swooooony. So Swoooony;
Indiscreet with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, c. 1957
Thoughts:
  • I have serious apartment envy;
  • "I'm too old for this sort of evening. I always was."~ Alfred, the stick-in-the-mud brother-in-law;
  • "Shall I see you to your elevator?" Past the doorman, lobbymen, the elevator operator, & live-ins = no privacy; 




Thoughts:
  • What is with these fake New York apartments, they set up such unrealistic expectations;
  • "Nothing can ever really separate us." Mame to her nephew, Patrick. Yep. That's how we all feel;
  • "I lived. I gotta find out what to do now!"  ~ Agnes Gooch;
  • "idiotic, cockeyed nincompoopery" has to be brought back into conversation as an insult; and
  • "Yes! Live! Life's a banquet..."

No comments: