______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, December 28, 2015

Auntie Nettie (Didn't) Reads A Lot 2015 - 3rd/4th Quarters


Sorry, Geoff -- not so keen on poetry, but I did try to read other things. The Festival killed my momentum on library books, so I immersed myself in first in "adult crack" of the Twilight Series (judge me not, lest ye be judged) and then spent many happy hours back in time in The Worlde of ye Gabaldon's Outlander. Then my August/November extended vacations and insane work schedule for December also killed my momentum. 

Alas. Alack. Resolutions for 2016 abound - as does my reading "wish" list.

The usual caveat applies: If you are just finding the blog, please note that this list was maintained mainly so that I could remember what I've (or NOT) read this year. The record does not fully represent me or all of my interests, so don't judge my reading habits. My interests change quite frequently. Also, as a general rule, I don't do book recommendations or link to major retailers or publishers. Except for the ARCs listed below [thanks major publishers!], most of these books came from MY library (now noted) or a public library.  Go forth and READ!

July through September
The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer (I know, I know -- whatever, mine, reread) 

Circling the Sun: A Novel by Paul McLain (ARC) 
A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley (ARC) 
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
Voyager by Diana Gabladon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
An Echo in Bone by Diana Gabaldon (mine, reread) (long reads) 
Written in my Heart’s Own Blood by Diana Gabaldon (mine, READ - FINALLY) (long reads) 
This is Your Life, Harriet Chance! by Jonathan Evison (ARC) 
The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne (Mine, reread) 
Cleopatra's Shadows: A Novel by Emily Holleman (ARC) 
The Gap of Time by Jeanette Winterson (ARC) (didn't finish) 
Since You've Been Gone by Anouska Knight (ARC, reread) 
The Lake Season: A Novel by Hannah McKinnon 
The Book of Lost and Found by Lucy Foley 
Ever After: A Nantucket Brides Novel by Jude Deveraux 
It's Not Me It's You by Mhairi McFarlane 
The Woman Who Stole My Life: A Novel by Marian Keyes 
Nobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Philips (reread) 
Re Jane: A Novel by Patricia Park 
You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost): A Memoir by Felicia Day 
Midnight Crossroad (Book 1) by Charlaine Harris 
Black Dove White Raven by Elizabeth Wein (didn't finish) 
The Care and Management of Lies by Jacqueline Winspear (didn't finish) 
The Little Free Library Book: Take a Book- Return a Book by Margret Aldrich 
For All Time: A Nantucket Brides Novel by Jude Deveraux 
True Love: A Nantucket Brides Novel by Jude Deveraux  

October through December 
Landline by Rainbow Rowell 
Play for Me by Celine Keating (didn't finish) 
Ever After: A Nantucket Brides Novel by Jude Deveraux (reread) 
The Japanese Lover: A Novel by Isabel Allende (ARC) 
Day Shift: A Novel of Midnight (Book 2) by Charlaine Harris 
Blueprints: A Novel by Barbara Delinsky 
Once Upon a Summertime by Melody Carlson 
Beach Town: A Novel by Mary Kay Andrews 
If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins** 
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling 
Bending the Rules by Susan Andersen (didn't finish) 
The Other Daughter: A Novel by Lauren Willig 
Casting Off by Nicole R. Dickson Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir
    by Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess   
The Sparrow Sisters: A Novel by Ellen Herrick 
Steadfast: An Elemental Masters Novel by Mercedes Lackey (reread) 
The Rosie Project: A Novel by Graeme Simsion 
The Rosie Effect: A Novel by Graeme Simsion 
BossyPants by Tina Fey 
The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel by Nina George 
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book about Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess
[Whoops I forgot to write things down at some point mid-November] 
The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth (ARC) 
Hidden Riches by Nora Roberts (didn't finish vintage Readers Digest condensed book version at my auntie’s house) 
Star of Fortune (Guardians Trilogy Book 1) by Nora Roberts (mine) 
The Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennett by Kate Rorick and Rachel Kiley (mine)
 
Huh. Looking at it like this, maybe I DID read a lot at some point this year.
 
** Can I just say how weird it is to be reading along and the author a) mentions the place you used to work***, so that throws you out of the story and then b) also mentions a real-author that you kindof knew of in real-life when you were growing up, who lived about 6 houses away up the hill, who your brother delivered papers to and babysat his kids - so that REALLY throws you out of the story? No, just me? As you were.

*** The Big J / Juilliard and Wally Lamb.



No comments: