______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Retroblogging 1980: July 11, 1980

Audrey's Birthday Party, July 11, 1980

I was going through the aforementioned pile of miscellanea and found this nondescript envelope with notations on the back. Out came the picture with more comments on the back, and fortunately, Mom's handwriting in blue to note the date.

Combined with the tattered notebook from 1980, this is one priceless look at that summer when I was eight, and on the cusp of having my world turned upside down. (To quote family lore: My reaction when being told we were moving ... to Connecticut: "I don't want to move there. They talk funny." I'm not even sure I knew where CT was when I made that statement. Maybe I was thinking of Kentucky? And who has a slight New York cadence/accent now? Me!)

Audrey is second from left, on the lawn chair, with the bangs. I'm second from right with the short boy's bob and the blue shoes. We're surrounded by church and class-mates, including Valerie P. between us and probably Jerry-Don W. in the back pulling a mug. Aud's wearing a classic outfit in a Winnie the Pooh print, and I can't believe how gangly I am -- in a summer shirt probably made by Grandma Ollie (and something I've never been able to pull off since.) I never remember being that gangly. Or so unselfconscious in front of a camera.

We must have been having a blast. Audrey's house was awesome, full of nooks and crannies, air hockey tables, cuckoo clocks, taxidermy projects in the basement, pianos, and older siblings, with a back yard with tree houses and assorted vehicles and things.

Growing up in the '70s was idyllic, especially in that part of Utah. We could run in and out of each other's places. Our parents could let us travel the blocks between secure in the knowledge that we lived in a safe place and that 99% of the neighbors went to church with us and could keep an eye on us. We could play in the irrigation ditches when they filled with water. We knew how to respond to "strangers" and strangers alike. Our lives were contained in probably less than a mile radius: church, friends' houses, elementary school, parks, stores, and in my case, great-aunts/uncles cum grandparents.

It's probably best that this part of my childhood is "paused" forever in time. Even though I probably would have ended up in middle and high school with the same group of church and childhood friends, the pressures mounting on us by social changes and peers might have irrevocably changed our dynamics and life paths. Mom stayed in touch with Audrey's parents over the years, and/or we heard "through the grapevine" from my great-aunt, about the antics, trials, tribulations, and triumphs of my and my brother's peer groups. Not surprisingly, even for a pretty homogenous, religious group from Utah, the statistics include divorce, drugs issues, prison, health issues, out-of-wedlock children, drop-outs, etc., as well as the successes in marriages, education, business, etc.

Even though I was unhappy about the move, I literally cannot imagine what my life would have been like if we stayed .... except for imagining more parties, like this, in Audrey's backyard.

No comments: