______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, September 15, 2014

Max and Mary Mission Call: Why We're Going On a Mission: Max Answers

Extract from actual documents, shared by Grumpa Max

[Official LDS Church letterhead/Office of the First Presidency]

April 1, 2014

[Names/address redacted]

You are called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, assigned to the Washington, D.C. Temple as a temple missionary. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 12 months.

You should report to the Salt Lake Temple on Monday, September 15, 2014, where you will receive training in the administration ... Your specific assignments may be modified or varied according to the needs at the temple.

You have been recommended as one worthy to represent the Lord as a minister of the restored gospel, and you will be an official representative of the Church. As such, you will be expected to maintain the highest standards of conduct and appearance at all times by keeping the commandments and following the counsel of your temple president. As you devote your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs, the Lord will bless you with increased knowledge and testimony of the Restoration and of the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

....

Sincerely,

Thomas S. Monson, President
Salt Lake Temple c. Lds.org
I asked Grumpa to share WHY he and Grandmary wanted to serve a mission, and he shared the following (a bit edited, sorry Pops), in addition to some of his outline prepared for his farewell talk.

Grumpa in his own words:
  1. Something we wanted to do when we were older, retired, kids somewhat stabilized, parents passed, and in a monetary position we could afford it.
  2. With all of the above met, I was in the temple working and had a few minutes down-time where I could just ponder about the future. I got the feeling strongly that it was time we do the application for a mission and it should be a temple mission, after some discussion we believed it should be the Washington, D.C. Temple. We researched the possibilities, costs, and time frames we could sign up for. It still felt right so we moved forward.
  3. Somewhere it is printed and spoken about by the living prophets that senior couples are encouraged to serve a mission – with many different types of missions available for them to be involved in. Some where they live at home and some by serving away from home in the states or overseas. Calls range from 12,18, 24 months. Costs ranges from nothing if at home to $3K in some overseas sites. The seniors pay their way once on-site. WE as seniors have some freedoms not given to the Elder/Sisters, but we are still given standards that required work, obedience and faith.
  4. Why I believe it is right for me to work in the temple is part of the talk below. One word would be comfort in what, where, when, why and how. Mom’s word would be service. [emphasis editor's own]
  5. I looked up some of the primary songs that point us all to missions.

I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside someday.
I'll cov'nant with my Father;
I'll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I've learned this truth:
A fam'ly is forever.

Words and music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938. (c) 1980 by Janice Kapp Perry.

I hope they call me on a mission
When I have grown a foot or two.
I hope by then I will be ready
To teach and preach and work as missionaries do.
I hope that I can share the gospel
With those who want to know the truth.
I want to be a missionary
And serve and help the Lord while I am in my youth.
Words and music: Newel Kay Brown, b. 1932. (c) 1969 IRI
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  

Talk Outline for Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014
Bloomington 3rd Ward, Bloomington, UT

Theme:
D&C 112*
Order = Thanks – Testimony – Songs + Scripture

Thanks To:
Bishop Mullins – Br. Platt – Br. Ellis – Br. Parker – Br. Pearson – Br. Marshall – All the Asst. Clerks and the organizational leaders past and present, for putting up with my need to be needed.

At the time I was called to serve in this ward my feelings of self-worth were headed downhill, I had seen this happen to other Bishops, Stake Presidents, Mission Presidents, and even Temple Presidents and was fighting to stay engaged and active. When called I just naturally threw myself back into service. Since that time we have served at the Home Storage Center and the Temple and I have been built back up by all of you. I am sorry if I offended anyone in my efforts to follow the handbooks and procedures of the gospel. My spirit was in the right place while my actions may have been too direct at times!

Thanks to the ward members who have accepted us in this ward and allowed us to be part of your families.

My thanks to the youth of this ward for being the true sons and daughters of Christ that will lead and honor the Church with your actions and beliefs. I have shared some of my observations with parents and leaders of the goodness and kindness that the youth take part in when they are unaware of being watched. One example is of a young woman that has great respect from a peer group outside of the church as well as the leaders of that group. I watched as she coached, encouraged, strengthened and uplifted an individual trying his best to reach a goal far beyond his normal reach. She stayed right with this person for the whole time making sure first of all he was safe and then bringing out every bit of strength he had to reach the finish line. That day she truly followed Christ’s teaching of looking after the one. Her individual strengths she keeps hidden behind a beautiful shy smile. She is a future leader within God’s kingdom. I encourage all of us to watch these young members and be their friends and NOT just old folks that give advice.


We love thy house, O God,
Wherein thine honor dwells.
The joy of thine abode
All earthly joy excels.

It is the house of prayer,
Wherein thy servants meet,
And thou, O Lord, art there,
Thy chosen flock to greet.

We love the word of life,
The word that tells of peace,
Of comfort in the strife,
Of joys that never cease.

This temple mission is most likely the best place for me as it is where the gospel is in its purest form and very structured. I know what is expected of me and feel comfortable accomplishing my duties. Believe it or not, I find it harder and harder to step into new situations, callings, or places. The older I get the more reclus[ive] I want to be. If it were not for Mary pulling me out into the open I could easily become a hermit. I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of my life as a son, brother, individual, husband, father, and grandfather. I know the importance of family both here on earth and in the heavens for eternity. I truly am thankful for the daily blessing I receive and acknowledge that they come from my Father in Heaven. I understand the Atonement, the Plan of Salvation, and the sacrifice of my Savior - Jesus Christ to allow me to repent and live a life that can allow me to take part in the eternities. I testify that I have taken part in blessings that have changed lives through the power of the Priesthood as well as changing my prospective of how the Lord works through man. I testify that we have a living Prophet here on the earth that leads and guides us through the spoken word and preaching and teaching us through the media, handbooks, and local leaders such as Bishops and Stake Presidents. I testify that as we seek to serve others the blessings of heaven will pour down upon us and the feelings of despair will be replaced with joy and peace. I know without reservation that God loves me and hears my prayers whether they are given kneeling or unspoken. I understand that all that I desire will not be given me but that what I receive is best for me. I know without any doubt Heavenly Father has guided my life. I know that through the blessings of a temple marriage to a woman that follows God’s plan I have been blessed beyond measure.

In preparing for today’s talk I have been reading and rereading D&C Section 112. First one of the statements struck me -- as what we see as many speakers talk to us.  

D&C 112:5 Contend thou, therefore, morning by morning; and day after day let thy warning voice go forth; and when the night cometh let not the inhabitants of the earth slumber, because of thy speech.

I always worried when speaking if those in the chapel were resting on the words of God or just resting! So being me I read this scripture as: BECAUSE OF THY SPEECH, LET NOT THE INHABITANTS OF THE EARTH SLUMBER.

Another part of D&C 112 hit me hard because I remember a couple of General Conference speakers telling us it was alright to put your names in place of some of those receiving council from the Lord.

So when reading:
D&C 112: 2 Verily I say unto you, there have been some few things in thine heart and with thee with which I, the Lord, was not well pleased.  

I was reminded that I needed to do better. Then the next verse helped me feel blessed and forgiven again.

D&C 112:3 Nevertheless, inasmuch as thou hast abased thyself thou shalt be exalted; therefore, all thy sins are forgiven thee.

There is hope for all of us!

If we follow the words of the song we just sang.

Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers.
Be thou humble in thy pleading, and the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
Shall bless thee with a sweet and calm assurance that he cares.

Be thou humble in thy calling, and the Lord thy God shall teach thee
To serve his children gladly with a pure and gentle love.
Be thou humble in thy longing, and the Lord thy God shall take thee,
Shall take thee home at last to ever dwell with him above.

D&C 112:10 Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.

Remember again to place your name or your family in these scriptures!

D&C 112:11 I know thy heart, and have heard thy prayers concerning thy brethren. Be not partial towards them in love above many others, but let thy love be for them as for thyself; and let thy love abound unto all men, and unto all who love my name.

 12 And pray for thy brethren of the Twelve. Admonish them sharply for my name’s sake, and let them be admonished for all their sins, and be ye faithful before me unto my name.

There are verses in D&C 112 that help us understand why the word to our opening song are so important. Take the time to review what the Lord is counseling the First Presidency and Twelve to do: [11–15, They are to take up their cross, follow Jesus, and feed His sheep;
16–20, Those who receive the First Presidency receive the Lord;
21–29, Darkness covers the earth, and only those who believe and are baptized will be saved;
30–34, The First Presidency and the Twelve hold the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times.]

Lyrics
We listen to a prophet's voice and hear the Savior too.
With love he bids us do the work the Lord would have us do.
The Savior calls his chosen seer to preach the word of God,
That men might learn to find the path marked by the iron rod.

In ev'ry land, in ev'ry tongue, our prophet will be heard;
How swiftly round the world his voice reveals the gospel word!
The sacred message that he brings will witness and agree
With ev'ry prophet called of God throughout earth's history

Hosanna! Let our praise ascend unto the Savior's throne;
Rejoice! The prophet has confirmed that by Him we are known.
Attend, ye earth! The prophet speaks; come listen and obey.
He is the man who holds the keys of priesthood pow'r today.

D&C 112:30 For unto you, the Twelve, and those, the First Presidency, who are appointed with you to be your counselors and your leaders, is the power of this priesthood given, for the last days and for the last time, in the which is the dispensation of the fullness of times,

Book of Ether —Christ commands men to believe His words and those of His disciples—Men are commanded to repent, believe the gospel, and be saved.
Book Ether Chapter 4:18 Therefore, repent all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me, and believe in my gospel, and be baptized in my name; for he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned; and signs shall follow them that believe in my name.

 19 And blessed is he that is found faithful unto my name at the last day, for he shall be lifted up to dwell in the kingdom prepared for him from the foundation of the world. And behold it is I that hath spoken it. Amen.

[Editor’s note: Probable additional extemporaneous wrap-up/personal comments/etc. Not out-lined in this talk outline. Actual remarks may have been condensed, shuffled, incorporating Mary’s comments, or ad hoc depending on timing, personal feelings, etc.]

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet to Thomas B. Marsh, at Kirtland, Ohio, July 23, 1837, concerning the Twelve Apostles of the Lamb. This revelation was received on the day Elders Heber C. Kimball and Orson Hyde first preached the gospel in England. Thomas B. Marsh was at this time President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
1–10, The Twelve are to send the gospel and raise the warning voice to all nations and people;
11–15, They are to take up their cross, follow Jesus, and feed His sheep;
16–20, Those who receive the First Presidency receive the Lord;
21–29, Darkness covers the earth, and only those who believe and are baptized will be saved;
30–34, The First Presidency and the Twelve hold the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times.
 1 Verily thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Thomas: I have heard thy prayers; and thine alms have come up as a memorial before me, in behalf of those, thy brethren, who were chosen to bear testimony of my name and to send it abroad among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, and ordained through the instrumentality of my servants.

 2 Verily I say unto you, there have been some few things in thine heart and with thee with which I, the Lord, was not well pleased.

 3 Nevertheless, inasmuch as thou hast abased thyself thou shalt be exalted; therefore, all thy sins are forgiven thee.

 4 Let thy heart be of good cheer before my face; and thou shalt bear record of my name, not only unto the Gentiles, but also unto the Jews; and thou shalt send forth my word unto the ends of the earth.

 5 Contend thou, therefore, morning by morning; and day after day let thy warning voice go forth; and when the night cometh let not the inhabitants of the earth slumber, because of thy speech.

 6 Let thy habitation be known in Zion, and remove not thy house; for I, the Lord, have a great work for thee to do, in publishing my name among the children of men.

 7 Therefore, gird up thy loins for the work. Let thy feet be shod also, for thou art chosen, and thy path lieth among the mountains, and among many nations.

 8 And by thy word many high ones shall be brought low, and by thy word many low ones shall be exalted.

 9 Thy voice shall be a rebuke unto the transgressor; and at thy rebuke let the tongue of the slanderer cease its perverseness.

 10 Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.

 11 I know thy heart, and have heard thy prayers concerning thy brethren. Be not partial towards them in love above many others, but let thy love be for them as for thyself; and let thy love abound unto all men, and unto all who love my name.

 12 And pray for thy brethren of the Twelve. Admonish them sharply for my name’s sake, and let them be admonished for all their sins, and be ye faithful before me unto my name.

 13 And after their temptations, and much tribulation, behold, I, the Lord, will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will heal them.

 14 Now, I say unto you, and what I say unto you, I say unto all the Twelve: Arise and gird up your loins, take up your cross, follow me, and feed my sheep.

 15 Exalt not yourselves; rebel not against my servant Joseph; for verily I say unto you, I am with him, and my hand shall be over him; and the keys which I have given unto him, and also to youward, shall not be taken from him till I come.

 16 Verily I say unto you, my servant Thomas, thou art the man whom I have chosen to hold the keys of my kingdom, as pertaining to the Twelve, abroad among all nations—

 17 That thou mayest be my servant to unlock the door of the kingdom in all places where my servant Joseph, and my servant Sidney, and my servant Hyrum, cannot come;

 18 For on them have I laid the burden of all the churches for a little season.

 19 Wherefore, whithersoever they shall send you, go ye, and I will be with you; and in whatsoever place ye shall proclaim my name an effectual door shall be opened unto you, that they may receive my word.

 20 Whosoever receiveth my word receiveth me, and whosoever receiveth me, receiveth those, the First Presidency, whom I have sent, whom I have made counselors for my name’s sake unto you.

 21 And again, I say unto you, that whosoever ye shall send in my name, by the voice of your brethren, the Twelve, duly recommended and authorized by you, shall have power to open the door of my kingdom unto any nation whithersoever ye shall send them—

 22 Inasmuch as they shall humble themselves before me, and abide in my word, and hearken to the voice of my Spirit.

 23 Verily, verily, I say unto you, darkness covereth the earth, and gross darkness the minds of the people, and all flesh has become corrupt before my face.

 24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

 25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;

26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.

 27 Therefore, see to it that ye trouble not yourselves concerning the affairs of my church in this place, saith the Lord.

 28 But purify your hearts before me; and then go ye into all the world, and preach my gospel unto every creature who has not received it;

 29 And he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, and he that believeth not, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

 30 For unto you, the Twelve, and those, the First Presidency, who are appointed with you to be your counselors and your leaders, is the power of this priesthood given, for the last days and for the last time, in the which is the dispensation of the fulness of times,

 31 Which power you hold, in connection with all those who have received a dispensation at any time from the beginning of the creation;

 32 For verily I say unto you, the keys of the dispensation, which ye have received, have come down from the fathers, and last of all, being sent down from heaven unto you.

 33 Verily I say unto you, behold how great is your calling. Cleanse your hearts and your garments, lest the blood of this generation be required at your hands.

 34 Be faithful until I come, for I come quickly; and my reward is with me to recompense every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega. Amen.

No comments: