______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mary and Max are Going on a Mission

Lyrics 

I hope they call me on a mission
When I have grown a foot or two.
I hope by then I will be ready
To teach and preach and work as missionaries do. 

 I hope that I can share the gospel
With those who want to know the truth.
I want to be a missionary
And serve and help the Lord while I am in my youth.*

 Words and music: Newel Kay Brown, b. 1932. (c) 1969 IRI

*These are the words of a traditional Mormon "Sunday School" song for the youth. As far as I know, there isn't a version for the more "mature" sets of missionaries that go out to serve. But there should be.

By the time you read this, Grumpa Max and Grandmary should be en route to/or in Salt Lake City, UT to get a few weeks of specialized training in preparation for about a year's missionary service at the Washington, D.C. Temple starting in October 2014. Here's a drones'-eye view of the Washington, D.C. temple.


If you can't view this video, click this link or cut and paste:  http://youtu.be/aDy81Wxqb8k

Pretty impressive, no?

Now, I'm sure there are questions.

Q: What's a mission? 

A: "Missionary (LDS Church) Missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church)—widely known as Mormon missionaries—are volunteer representatives of the LDS Church who engage variously in proselytizing, church service, humanitarian aid, and community service."
~ per a wikipedia entry

Q: What's a temple?

A: "...a temple is a building dedicated to be a house of God and is reserved for special forms of worship. A temple differs from a church meetinghouse, which is used for weekly worship services..."
~ per another wikipedia entry

Q: Why do they need retirees to do this?

A: Not to be flip, but some retirees LIKE to be busy AND they have the time. It takes a lot of work to keep humanitarian efforts going, administration churning, training ticking, etc. 

Q: But won't they miss [insert family celebrations here aka births of grandchildren, birthdays, holidays?]

A: Yes, they will miss them -- in person -- but thanks to technology, senior couples can be in contact with family more and more. Family can visit, within reason. If family emergencies or healthy issues arise, things are more flexible for senior couples. I remember visiting Grandma Ollie in D.C. when she was on her mission. I plan to visit the 'rents when they are in D.C. - and apparently I better put my bid in for a visit, since they already have reservations for others who want to visit. THEY AREN'T EVEN IN D.C. YET!


Q: Why do your parents want to do this?

A: Good question. I can't answer for them -- though I will ask -- but I suspect:
a) It's a family tradition. Grandma Ollie actually did a mission in Washington, D.C. Many of my great-aunts and uncles have been on senior Church missions. Both of my brothers went on missions; one to California, the other to Brazil.
b) Dad did not go on the "traditional" youth mission when he was the usual age. He instead served this country faithfully in the Navy during the Vietnam era.
c) Mom did not go on the "traditional" youth mission when she was the usual age. She was serving the youth of America by teaching them about English literature.
d) They have served the Church in other various ways throughout their adult life. While "retired" in Utah, they have worked together in Church service: at the Saint George Temple and in Church humanitarian work in a cannery.
e) They are healthy, willing, and able.

 I'm proud of these two!


I'm hoping to share Max and Mary's Mission Moments as we go through the year. I'm trying to make sure it's documented SOMEWHERE!

No comments: