______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Auntie Nettie Reads A Lot 2014 - 2nd/3rd Quarter

Well, usually I read a lot. This has been an interesting, let's say, transitional regrouping year, wherein I have had to re-prioritize my energies.

Now that the Summer Festival is well over, the 3-day Fall Festival is over, and the calm before the fall schedule really picks up, I have been enjoying the library again and reading on the commute. I'm reading a bunch of what would be considered "summer beach reads." No prize-winners or "best ofs X lists" for now. Just fun reads. At the beginning of the summer I had huge stacks of books that I just kept renewing because I couldn't get to, or into, them. It was, as the librarian and I both agreed as I shamefacedly returned them at the end of the allowable renewal cycles, a bit too ambitious. So ... this instead. A mix of fluff, chick-lit, some ARCS, some of my collections, and some books from friends.
c. 9/6/2014

I'll get to some of my serious series soon - once I reread the 500-800 page books leading up to the end of the 3-7 book series (maybe the holidays?).


The usual caveat applies: If you are just finding the blog, please note that this list was maintained mainly so that I could remember what I've (or NOT) read this year. The record does not fully represent me or all of my interests, so don't judge my reading habits. My interests change quite frequently. Also, as a general rule, I don't do book recommendations or link to major retailers or publishers. Except for the ARCs listed below [thanks major publishers!], most of these books came from MY library (now noted) or a public library. 


Go forth and READ! 

April through September 2014 (2nd/3rd quarters' worth)


A Fine Romance: Falling in Love with the English Countryside by Susan Branch (mine) 
The Fault in our Stars: A Novel by John Green [Do NOT read in public - and DO NOT READ WITHOUT TISSUES] (mine) 
Stitch in Snow by Anne McCaffrey (mine, reread)
Anne of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery (mine, reread)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (mine)
Since You've Been Gone by Anouska Knight (ARC)
Rainbow Valley by L.M. Montgomery (mine, reread)
Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery (mine, reread)
Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (mine, reread)
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (mine, reread)
The Family Man by Elinor Lipman
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (mine)
If I Stay by Gayle Forman (mine, reread)
Where She Went by Gayle Forman (mine)
Famous Last Words by Annie Sanders
Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Jill Monsell 
The Fortune Hunter: A Novel by Daisy Goodwin (ARC)
Ghost Gone Wild (A Bailey Ruth Ghost Novel) by Carolyn Hart
Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School Book the Second) by Gail Carringer
After Dead: What Come Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Joy for Beginners: A Novel by Erica Bauermeister
The School of Essential Ingredients: A Novel by Erica Bauermeister (reread)
Shadow Spell: Book Two of The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy by Nora Roberts
The Lost Art of Mixing: A Novel by Eric Bauermeister 
The Undead Pool (A Hollows novel) By Kim Harrison
The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick (mine) 
Confessions of a Latter-day Virgin: A Memoir by Nicole Hardy 
Skin Game (A Dresden Novel) by Jim Butcher
(did I skip a few? Apparently, maybe yes?!)
The Other Half: A Novel by Sarah Rayner (didn't finish)
Made to Last by Melissa Tagg
The Apple Orchard, A Novel by Susan Wiggs
For Once in my Life: A Novel by Marianne Kavanagh (didn't finish)
The Bridesmaids: True Tales of Love, Envy, Loyalty ... and Terrible Dresses by Eimear Lynch (ARC)
2 a.m. at the Cat's Pajamas: A Novel by Marie-Helen Bertino (ARC) 
The Last Breath by Kimberly Belle (ARC) 
Elemental Magic: All-New Tales of the Elemental Masters edited by Mercedes Lackey (mine) 
Elementary (All-New Tales of the Elemental Masters) edited by Mercedes Lackey (mine)
Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life is Your Hidden Strength by Laurie Helgoe, Ph.D. (mine)
A Shiver of Light (Merry Gentry Novel) by Laurell K. Hamilton
A Good Year for the Roses: A Novel by Gil McNeil
Rare Bird: A Memoir of Loss and Love by Anna Whiston-Donaldson (ARC) (Also have tissues handy)
 The Sweet Spot: A Novel by Stephanie Evanovich
Driving with The Top Down: A Novel by Beth Harbison
The Last Original Wife: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank
The Last Summer of the Camperdowns: A Novel by Elizabeth Kelly (didn't finish)
Bet Me: A Novel by Jennifer Cruise
Love Water Memory by Jennie Shortridge 
To the Letter: A Celebration of the Lost Art of Letter Writing by Simon Garfield (mine, non-fiction) 
Sweetshop of Dreams: A Novel with Recipes by Jenny Colgan 
Etta Mae's Worst Bad-Luck Day by Ann B. Ross 
Goodnight June: A Novel by Sarah Jio 
The Glass Kitchen: A Novel of Sisters by Linda Francis Lee 
Night Broken: A  Mercy Thompson Novel by Patricia Briggs 
That Summer: A Novel by Lauren Willig 
The Geometry of Love by Jessica Levine (didn't finish) 
Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips 
Charlie Glass's Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale by Holly McQueen 
The Summer Kitchen: A Novel by Karen Weinreb (didn't finish) 
The Appetites of Girls: A Novel by Pamela Moses (didn't finish) 
a couple of e-books from my iTouch

No comments: