______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Summer Scenes 2012: Commuting Views Part 3

Walking to the train has been a bit erratic lately, just like me, the weather, and my schedule. However, when I have been walking, it's been interesting to see the little things the Big Apple reveals along the way.

Things like this hidden park nestled in the midst of a busy Midtown set of office towers. Scenes like this make me wish I could paint. The waterfall wall and the summer light had such a glow that the moment really needs to be rendered like an Impressionist painting. The iTouch camera almost captures it that way, with no filters required.

Where were these crystal clear skies when I was walking during Summer Streets? No haze really shows off the various facets of the various kinds of architecture.


As you wander the streets you can get some wonderful decorating ideas for your home or office (If you don't fear picking up bedbugs or some other "thing," you could actually take the things home.)

Why cart around clothes in a suitcase? In New York, you carry around books (or bodies).

Within inches of this book sale, you could get a soda out of the fridge, and then take a seat. Literally. You could take a seat.

New Yorkers eke out as much liveable spaces as possible. If your landlord is lenient (or the Fire Marshall hasn't cracked down), your fire escape can become a garden. The tenants in the picture on the right has creaked a patio, complete with a picket fence, furniture, and a grill.

Sometimes the art you see is a bit hare-brained, but then you see a wall that you totally wish you could copy in your own home.
I walked by this charming piece twice before I actually remembered to stop and take a picture. It was meant to be sculptural, but you could create something like this from an old bike and baskets and spray paint. Look at the votive jars. The rear basket is filled with corks.

Typos aside, cute sign. New Yorkers love their dogs.

This pup had his own care bear to take care of his boo-boo.

What I also love about New Yorkers is that they just do their business anywhere, anytime, no matter what. Glare from ballerina reads: Just toting my tutu - you gotta problem widdat?

Advertising is not always representative of the quality of the dining experience or the food. Take Island Burgers and Shakes: nondescript marquee, apparently really good food. It's on my Island Hopping agenda for sure, but not the burgers, (darn you e coli), the chicken. On the other hand, sometime prioritizing your marketing message is important.

Too many drinks though, and anyone starts to look like a hard chiseled body. "Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy. But here's my number, so call me maybe"


Despite the name, I found a lot of religious message scattered throughout Hell's Kitchen.


I don't really hold much with horoscopes, though the day I wrote this up, two were pretty appropriate:

Whatever has transpired this week, it's time to let go of any intense or negative energy and clear your mind. During these periods of relaxation, when you allow your mind to go into a different space, you can subliminally sort through any issues.

Some things will never change and you need to accept that fact. You may be one of those people who want to improve the lives of others, but you've got to be sensible about it. Even an Aquarius can only do so much.


I do need to reflect upon these, and then let the exercise and the river wash away the stress.


Acts 2:19 And I will shew wonders in the heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath.



No comments: