______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Letters from Ollie J -- 1980 Extras

Note in my 8th Birthday Card. Please note that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) are baptized after a child has reached the age of 8, which is what my grandmother is referring to here:

9 Feb 1980

Hi honey,

We have plenty of snow on the ground here - And looks like we will get more.

I am fine and staying warm.

Hope you have a special Birthday. Would love to be with you today and when your Daddy Baptizes you - But can't in person but will be thinking of you.

Learn and be good.

Keep well and happy.

Love Grandma Ollie J

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you've been reading along in the Retroblogging 1980 entries, you'll remember that Grandma Ollie came to Utah to visit with us. Which was really fun. I don't remember sharing a room with her. Though, apparently, I did.

A little later this summer, we ended up moving to Connecticut. On the long ride east in the car with my Grandma Roa, and my two young brothers, we stopped by Grandma Ollie's Farm in North Carolina for a bit of a break. Two visits in one summer? Unprecedented, and probably not repeated.

12 August 1980

Dear granddaughter,

Thanks for sharing your bed room with me. Love being with you.

Thanks so much for the pictur you made and gave me. I will treasure it long.

I had a very nice trip home. Nice weather all the way.

Have been busy cutting grass and washing.

Yesterday I picked butterbeans shelled and froze them. So was very tired last night. Have helped Uncle Hyrum with his garden too.

Aunt Dot has [Uncle Hyrum's wife] her contact lins and hopes to get more help today so she can see again.

Hope you have a lovely trip.

Be good so your mother can drive careful.

Love you
Grandma [Ollie]

What would my grandmother think of her granddaughter gallivanting all over NYC by herself like I have been doing this summer? She'd probably keep her comments all to herself. After all, I'm just going where my mother has gone before me.

No comments: