______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday Traditions: New York Skating, Part 1

One of the more magical things about the holidays in New York is the addition of new recreational opportunities in the City. I've visited Bryant Park many times over the years, but never really spent time at the rink.

Recently, my alma mater had a special Reunion event/skating party at the Citi Pond ice rink and a bunch of us attended. Now, after my experience with the "shark" on Cape Cod, the thought of me on ice sent shivers down the spine of everyone around me. Instead, I lingered as close to the rail as I could and took pictures ... lots and lots of pictures.

The tree and directions.

What would a day at at a skating rink be without a cameo by the ZAMBONI!?

Don't forget to look up. Some gorgeous views of a gorgeous day.

There were some serious fashions on display. HOOO says you can't be fashionable while having fun?

This little fashionista has the skates that I totally need.
Next time, I am going up to the expensive restaurant and watching from the sky box.

One of the unfortunate fashion choices can be seen on the left,
in contrast to the view on the right - which is the correct fashion for the venue.

It was so beautiful, it seemed a shame to stay under cover of the tent.

The only negative to the whole day, besides the fact that it was so freaking crowded on the rink and in the Park that you couldn't go an inch without bumping people, was the strategic placement of Kettle Corn NYC's stand by some turbo ventilation fans. The whole rink and tent smelled of kettle corn, driving people to make many a corny pun. Sweet torture indeed.


If you are going to go skating in Bryant Park, bring your own skates, DON'T go at noon on a Saturday during a beautiful weekend, and do be patient with amateur skaters/photographers/tourists.

Don't text and walk. Don't stop and gawk. Stay to the right of sidewalks, stairs, and don't (for the love of all that is holy) BLOCK THE TRAIN DOORS!

No comments: