______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, October 31, 2011

Cape Cod Girls Weekend 2011 - Biking Bites

In addition to hanging out, going to the beach, playing games, and lots of eating, one of the activities of our road trip involved ... hitting the road. Now, I am not athletic. I am seriously accident prone. I have not been on a traditional bike in 20 something years, but for some reason, NO one listened to my dire predictions about this outing*. Little did they know...

Cape Cod has transformed miles of an old railroad right of way into bike trails. We put in near Nickerson State Park, after finding a bike shop that was open. I immediately saw a few potential problems. They did not have an adult tricycle, adult training wheels, or helmets. Although there was a wide selection of bikes, somehow I didn't realize until after our ride that I was on a mountain bike and not a regular bike. This would prove to be a fateful decision.

Signs and smiles

My ride and the view I was afraid I would be my last ...

The first leg of the trip was interesting as I tried to get my balance, learn the whole gear shifting thing, and remind the girls that for their own protection, they needed to stay ahead and clear of me. (I veered wildly every time I had to shift gear and push off.) I was fine going ... stopping would prove to be my downfall. We pulled over a few times to enjoy the view and to rest.

Unfortunately for me, all the reclining stationary biking in the world for 15-30 minutes at a gym (months ago) did not prepare me for the hills and the fact that we went about 4-5 miles before the girls decided to turn around. Then the return journey was uphill. They got ahead of me without realizing that I was walking the bike up the hill, and then, as I was trying to balance after mounting to coast down the hill ... well, let's just say: There was a choice between me propelling over a wooden barricade down an embankment and a highway, or letting the bike fall while I braced myself on the barricade. I can truthfully say that I did NOT fall down on the ride. The bike did. But it took a serious bite out of me on the way. I didn't really know how bad it was. I knew it scraped the back of my right calf and had nicked my left ankle, but didn't look to see. I finally caught up with the girls and we headed back to the pond to "rest" and "assess."

It wasn't until we returned the bikes (I walked a lot of the rest of the way -- How sad is it that I walk faster than I bike?), and headed to lunch when I really saw how gorey it was - I discovered the bike had taken chunks out of my right leg too. Not to mention, that stuff on my ankle? That's not just blood. My ankle leaked water for the next 2 weeks. I'm going to have scars. I actually still have healing scabs. I have decided to tell future generations that these things on my legs? They are tiger shark attack scars -- that I battled nobly in the surf to save my life and that the shark decided I just was to tough to tackle.

While we enjoyed the scenery at the Breakwater and waited for our highly fried, highly carbed lunch, I tried to clean up a bit with water and hand sanitizer. Once lunch arrived, it was time for us to tuck into sweet potato fries, calamari, oysters, clams, a lobster roll, and fried scallops and fries for me -- with a nice accent of onion rings. (The Shushing Librarian tried to snag one, but I don't share well with others.)

Like my improvised bandage? Painters tape really does have many uses! Sunset on the beach and lots of Advil helped with the aches and pains, mostly in my neck and arms from where I was hunched over and bracing myself on the handles. My legs, even with the scrapes, felt fine.

Injuries and embarrassment aside (I was lapped by senior citizens on oxygen tanks and little girls on bikes with training wheels!), it was a beautiful day with some lovely and unique sights.


What is a cowboy doing this far East, at a seafood place? Even the shark knows that this is wrong.

*When I called my brother 10 days later to get medical advice about my leaking ankle, his FIRST reaction was: "Whose stupid idea was that? You shouldn't be on a bike!"

Hello!? That's what I was saying. I was more than willing to be the designated driver and documentation for the Vineyard and Brewery tours. That's MUCH safer. Incriminating, yes. But safer.

No comments: