______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Making Adventures of The Shushing Librarian: Maker Faire 2011

We interrupt these postcards from Cape Cod for a message from The Shushing Librarian:

Hey there!

Miss me? Sorry about that. Been busy this summer. The libraries were CROWDED with people hiding out in the air conditioning, checking out monster.com, going to career services classes, and generally keeping us working like dogsbodies.

Now that the schools are back in session, we have a whole new demographic to entertain and educate. I have been looking for ideas to keep the many many kids busy during those hours before we can kick them out, er .... send them home.

Luckily, Jane and Auntie Nettie let me accompany them to Maker Faire 2011, where I saw a variety of options for after-school activities ... where I can continue to babysit, I mean, "shape the future of America."

Unfortunately, while I really like the death-cage boxing match idea to cull the population, my legal counsel and Board won't let me participate or sponsor this club. They are more into the arts and crafts ideas.

The library unfortunately also doesn't have the resources to be a machine shop, a repair shop, or a furniture building shop. I really like this Jeep and chair though.

How did they exactly reproduce the back rooms of the library? This is what our Technical Services and Cataloging Department look like.

I did get some good ideas to try and incorporate the Steampunk sub-genre and Science Fiction Cosplay Geeks into after-school groups. Perhaps we can coordinate with the emo kids and have them write a theatrical production ... except the Gleeks are "too cool" and "too busy."

I was really excited to see this display ... of a perfectly sized THEREMIN!

You don't know what a theremin is? You haven't heard of one of the first electronic instruments, created by crazy Russian inventor/KGB agent/Siberian exile/benefactor of Caramoor-founder-generosity Leon Theremin? That's him, pictured on the box on the left.


I would have snapped up this instrument for my collection, but with my injury I can't raise my hands to the proper position. As for using it for musical instruction for after-school clubs, oh HELL to the no! There is enough noise in that place as it is. Why would I subject myself to that?!

Thank you Maker Faire and all you talented makers. I have so many ideas. Now I just need funding for staff so I don't end up stabbing someone with a pair of scissors.

Until later ...

Stay tuned for future Adventures of The Shushing Librarian!

No comments: