______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Recipes from Aunt Flora -- Spicette Cookies

I was invited to a cookie exchange this year and decided to expand the repertoire a little bit. We all are used to the peanut butter kisses cookies, the chocolate crinkles, the snickerdoodles, and other fairly traditional well-known treats. I knew I was going to take the brittle from one side of my family, which I've already made about 10 batches of in a week, but I wanted to try something else. I had been passing this Spicette Cookie recipe every time I flipped through Aunt Flora's family book, so I was waiting for the perfect opportunity.

I did finally manage to find spice drops - aka gum drops like they usually have at Easter and throughout the year, but have a more anise flavoring in the granulated sugar coating - at my fourth drug store, after missing them early in the Christmas season (back in OCTOBER!). It was a mixed box of colors, so I picked through to find the red, green, and white ones (cinnamon, wintergreen, and peppermint). If there was a blue spice drop, you could use those and the yellow ones for a Hanukkah party.

With the oatmeal, coconut, and candy, it's pretty sweet and sneakily filling. I could have added some cloves/cinnamon to the mix to pick up the anise flavors in the candy though.

Spicette Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar

1 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup rolled oats

1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

1 cup spiced gum drops, cut in pieces
1 cup coconut

Cream shortening and sugar. [Set aside.]
[In separate bowl,] Sift dry ingredients together. [Set aside.]
Add eggs to sugar mixture [mix well], and then add teaspoon vanilla, [and mix well.]
Add rolled oats and dry ingredients [to wet batter, and mix well].
[Add coconut and gum drops to the batter and mix well.]
Place on a cookie sheet and cook at 375 degrees for 8 minutes [or until done.]

With my cookie scooper, I got 4 dozen.

From the cookie exchange, I got WAY too many cookies. The IT boys might, or might not, get to enjoy some of them.




Also, parchment paper? I am late to the bandwagon, but I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS STUFF!

No comments: