______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holiday Traditions: Posing with Presents for Posterity

One of our family's stranger traditions is what I'm calling the "Posing with the Presents for Posterity" Photos, aka, when long-distance relatives you haven't seen in year(s) send you stuff, you document it for them, so they can see it arrived, fits (to a certain degree), and is worn/used, at least once.

My mother's photo albums/large boxes (filled with random sets of pictures she never got sorted and then schlepped across the country) are filled with these types of photos from our childhood. Our grandmothers lived in Utah and North Carolina respectively. We lived in Connecticut. Travel for a family of 5 wasn't cheap, nor was it easy for them to come to us. When we'd get presents for birthdays/holidays, the sizes would be ... a little off. I remember one year, the sweatshirt that was meant for me wouldn't even fit my youngest brother. Making it more complicated? The sweatshirt was "decorated" with my name ... in gold glitter. (You know ... I have to find a copy of that photo. Maybe my mental snapshot of that sweatshirt isn't as bad as I remember! NAH...It's probably worse than I recall. Sorry Grandma. You did try.)

In an odd passing of the torch, now I'm the one who lives across the country. Travel for a family of 5 is even more expensive, and now their location makes the journey not at all easy for me during the holiday season. With the ease of texting, cell phones, digital photo attachments and now Skype, you'd think it'd be easier to get clothing sizes and styles right. NOPE.

Thanks to my sister-in-law for wrangling the kids into one of their early Christmas/back-to-school/just-for-the-heck-of-it auntie packages of new t-shirts and gloves. The shirts fit -- for now, though I see Nathan inheriting a couple down the line. They will grow into the gloves.


Above: Me thinks that Elle is not so impressed by big sister's antics.

Amber below: You talkin' to me?


Christina reports: "They are pulling some funny faces (especially gangster Amber) but I thought I would share the kids in their new stuff."

2600 miles away and New York is already having a negative influence.
How do they pick up a DeNiro impression or know gangster stuff after growing up in Southern Utah?

1 comment:

moosh in indy. said...

That makes me think of the bunny suit in Christmas Story. Or the horrible pink shirt my mom gave to Vivi. There was evidence of it on her body once, the end. Oof. My mother.