______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cape Cod Girls Weekend 2011 - Cooking with Christine, Part 1

We ate so well on the Girls Weekend. We only went out to eat once-- the carb extravaganza after the biking incident. The rest of the time we noshed on brittle, baked goods I brought, hummus/crackers, veggies, shrimp dip, fruit salad, etc. etc. etc. So virtuous. So economical.

However, I'm still salivating about the next few entries -- courtesy of Christine. Frankly, I think there could be a whole section of this blog eventually devoted to: Cooking with Christine. The oyster appetizer was only the tip of the seafood iceberg, and whetted our appetite for the evening's feast of Chile Pepper Lobster over Saffron Linguine.

The old saying "too many cooks in the kitchen" is apt. She had more than enough sous chefs and prep cooks, so The Shushing Librarian and I stood back, for the most part, and documented the evening.

The best recipes are ones that are much used and loved. You can see from Christine's copy of Emeril's creation, that this one is used a lot in her household. The notations on the copy are for when it is doubled for her husband Bob's cohorts at the local volunteer firehouse.




Saffron Linguine

Ingredients:

8 cups water
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound linguine or other thin pasta

Instructions:

Combine the water with the saffron, turmeric, salt, and oil
in a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
(Ed. note: No action figures were harmed in the shooting of this segment.)

Continue to boil for 5 minutes.

Add the pasta and cook for 4 to 6 minutes.

Remove from the heat and drain.

In our case: Add to Lobster sauce (see tomorrow's entry) and turn with tongs to mix well.
Dish out and top with Parmesan.


Yield: Pasta dish for 4-6

Finish meal with Alithia's yummy palate soother: sliced and grilled radicchio and fennel, chopped and mixed into salad, and topped with balsamic vinaigrette.


No need for dessert.

Lick bowls clean. Go back to sauce pan, use fingers to wipe clean, and lick/suck fingers dry to savor more.

Collapse in pasta coma.


Part two will cover the creation of the actual sauce.
(Excuse me as I wipe the drool from my chin and keyboard.)

PSSSST: Christine, I will trade brittle/baked goods for your relatives for a couple of containers of this pasta and/or sauce for my freezer for dinners this winter.

1 comment:

CRBosco321 said...

Your trade has been accepted! Now we must coordinate a date to make the trade.