______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Recipes from Aunt Flora -- Corn Bread

Sometimes you just have to see what's in your cupboards and pantry and THEN find the recipe to try. In this case, I have been staring at a 5 pound bag of corn meal of unknown vintage. I'm pretty sure it had been in my mother's freezer for years before I inherited it.

Since the weather has flirted with nippy, and it's time for soups and chilis, cornbread seems like the perfect recipe to try.

Aunt Flora's Corn Bread

2 cups flour
2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
7 teaspoons baking powder
Cube melted margarine (ended up using ½ stick of salted butter)
2 eggs
½ cup sugar, white
1 2/3 cup milk (and a splash or two more)

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cornmeal, sugar and salt.
Add eggs and milk. Stir well.
Last add melted butter.
(Added splash or two of milk, to cut the thickness)

Stir well and pour in 9x13x2 inch pan.
Bake at 425 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.

Let cool. Cut. Wrap well.

Next time vary with chopped jalapenos or green chiles, cayenne pepper, and/or shredded cheese in the batter.

Bit dry, because the cornmeal was very finely ground and who-knows-how-old… of course, I cut into it while it was still warm. Good crumbled into soups and chili.



No comments: