______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Recipes from Grandmary -- Wedding Breakfast

It is fitting that this be posted today, the day before my parents’ 43rd wedding anniversary. This Wedding Breakfast casserole was prepared by my Aunt Ruby as part of my parents’ wedding celebrations, and has since been used for many a family gathering, most recently cooked by Grandmary for Nathan’s blessing back in March and at the family gathering in Logan in August.

It can be prepared and refrigerated overnight so the ingredients come together. Take it out and bake in the morning to have a wedding day brunch. It’s good reheated in the microwave, or eaten at room temperature like a quiche.


Wedding Breakfast

Butter a 9 x 13 pan and then line with:

4 slices of bread (denser grain breads might sop up the wet mixture more – use enough to cover bottom of pan)
1 cup of grated cheese (add taco mixes, or jalapeno jack for some bite)
1 pound of sausage links
OR 1 pound ham, sliced and diced
OR 1 pound bulk sausage, rendered (cooked and drained), and diced

Mix the following in a separate container and then pour over the above:
8-10 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cup of milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
A package of Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
4 green onions, diced
½ green pepper, diced
¾ teaspoon dry mustard
1 dash of Accent*

Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 ½ hours

Accent is a seasoning also called MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). It is an optional seasoning and can very easily be left out of recipes.

Use a substitution of seasonings like red chili flakes, garlic and/or onion salts, black pepper, and/or fresh or dried herbs to flavor the casserole.

I like spice, so would use spicy sausage, chili flakes, and a dash of Tabasco in the wet mix to give it a kick.

No comments: