______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Recipes from Aunt Ruby -- Ginger Bread Cookies

When I initially got this recipe from Aunt Ruby I had no idea when I'd make it. I have never baked with molasses before and I wasn't going to go out and purchase any.

And then Mom and Dad moved and I got many large containers of molasses.

No excuses left, and it being the holidays, I decided to experiment with these, but only after some consultations and research.

This is not a "normal" recipe, meaning that I had to consult many search engines, peruse my cookbooks, and show this to expert baker Tori. I still haven't found anything like this. No eggs? Hot water? How much flour yields a stiff dough?

Ginger Bread Cookies
(About 45 men)

Mix together in bowl:
1 cup sugar (white)
1 cup shortening (used stick of butter-flavored Crisco)
1 tablespoon soda (baking)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ginger
1 cup Gold label molasses
a little salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
Pour over above: 2 cups hot water
Add flour to make still dough (7 cups!)
350 degrees 10 (inches? minutes? probably!)

Since the dough was a little hard to handle, I popped it in the fridge for about an hour to stiffen (and then 2 more hours in the freezer to stiffen even more). I did this based on other recipes I had seen. My research was also the reason I hadn't panicked when the cups of flour reached 5 cups, and started to approach 7 cups. (Good thing I have 50 lbs of flour!)

Rolling out the dough and cutting them into shapes was also an adventure. Turns out I don't have the usual holiday cookie cutters. I have circles, hearts, a cow, and oddly, a Hanukkah dreidel was hiding in my freezer. It being the season of Chrismukkah, I went with the dreidels.

There was so much dough. I kept rolling, and cutting, and baking.

This isn't a typical "hard" gingerbread - like is usual for decorating cookies. It's a cross between gingerbread "cake" and cookies. Since it stayed so soft, I didn't even frost it. Various offices consumed the results, with nary an audible complaint, and the mass amounts of dreidels disappeared in two days, so all in all? A success.

Don't ask me why some of these photos formatted one way, and the others, another. I have no idea.

No comments: