______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - Dec. 16, 1996

It was always hard to figure out what to get Grandma for Christmas. She wasn't into collecting, she didn't need "stuff," and heaven forbid you be extravagant. One year we figured out that that she really enjoyed the Reader's Digests. The articles weren't overly long. There was a variety of material, and better yet, it came in a large print version that made it easier for her to read. (Honestly right now, I'm even beginning to enjoy the large prints on things - time to see the eye doctor!) For a reasonable price, you could get a one or two year subscription and she'd be content. Plus, by the time you'd get around to visiting The Farm, there would be a nice stack that you could peruse between shelling pecans or sitting and rocking during all the relatives' visits.

[16 Dec 1996]

[The Farm
Pikeville, NC]

Thanks for the subscription to Readers Digest. Lot of reading.

You didn’t mean for me to have all those picturs[sic] did you?

They came today 16 Dec 1996 You didn’t say how much they cost. How can I pay you. The work you helped with was very much appreciated.

Come to visit any time you can.

What are plans for 1997?

Carol & I have tied three quilts for her & 2 boys. All done but heming[sic] one.

Want[sic] they be suprised[sic] Christmas.

Love and God Bless You Always

Grandma

No comments: