______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Anniversary Ollie J and Jack!

My maternal grandparents were married 69 years ago today.
I always doubted there was "fancy" wedding photo of my grandparents, like you'd find of many brides of the late 1930s/'4os, because Grandma wasn't the frou-frou bride type, nor was there money for it. Plus, I just realized the importance of the wedding date. It's only three weeks after Pearl Harbor, 1941; America has just really gotten into the war. Grandpa Jack would go on to serve in the Army. (Also, it took a long time for Grandpa Jack to persuade Great-grandma Bertha, but I still have to get the whole story from the great-aunties. Apparently, there were/might have been some reservations about Jack from the parental types, he not being Mormon for one, older for another, and "poor to boot." Knowing my grandmother, the opposition just made her more determined to get Jack. Some stories are timeless.)

I have no picture of my maternal grandparents, together, in my possession. Grandpa Jack died of emphysema-related issues when I was six, and Grandma Ollie didn't often speak about him to us through all the long years of her widowhood. The few photos she had of him in his prime were precious and she didn't let them go. When she passed, they were packed up with cartons and cartons of genealogy and records. Now that she is "retired" and "has room in the genealogy room of the new house," hopefully my mother will decide to deal with her inheritance and share a photo or two.

Until then, I have this.

Grandma's younger sister Betty kept a photo album, which somehow came in the position of one of her nephews, via her brother Hyrum's side of the family. When we were visiting Mom's cousins in N.C., one of them pulled it out and I started flipping through.

Imagine my delight when read the caption on this: My family taken the day my oldest sister Ollie & Jack were married.

That's Grandma Ollie J grinning like a Cheshire Cat in the front row, next to Grandpa Jack, who is next to Great-grandma Bertha. All of the siblings range behind them (and Grandmary will have to help me with the IDs) from l-r: Ruby, Dorothy, Hyrum, Shirley, Henry, Martha, and Betty

Oh, how I miss that grin.

Happy Anniversary you two!

No comments: