______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Weird Foods

I am no Andrew Zimmern but I've had some slightly weird foods in my time.

  • Blue corn fungus (thanks Jane);
  • grilled cactus (thanks James);
  • mako steak -- yup, mako, as in the shark (thank Jane's Dad);
  • lime jello salads (thanks Utah Mormon upbringing);
  • fry sauce (see above);
  • mystery Communist era food in Moscow and Leningrad [as it was known then] (school trip); and the
  • ubiquitous fruitcake, to name a few.

When I saw that the local gourmet deli next door was carrying the following chocolate bars again, I just had to buy one. Mo's Bacon Bar. You read that correctly .... Bacon. Chocolate. Bar.

See, here's the wrapper to prove it, and the link to the website.
It bears all of the hallmarks of a satisfactory experience; chocolate, salt, sugar, grease, and crunchy bacon bits.

Evidently, the "creator" of this mix saw the possibilities when she was a wee small thing:

"I began experimenting with bacon + chocolate at the tender age of 6, while eating chocolate chip pancakes drenched in Aunt Jemima® syrup, as children often do. Beside my chocolate-laden cakes laid three strips of sizzlin' bacon, just barely touching a sweet pool of maple syrup. And then, the magic—just a bite of the bacon was too salty and I yearned for the sweet kiss of chocolate and syrup, so I combined the two. In retrospect, perhaps this was a turning point; for on that plate something magical happened, the beginnings of a combination so ethereal and delicious that it would haunt my thoughts until I found the medium to express it—chocolate.

From there, it was just a matter of time…and what began as a love of salt and sweet quickly unraveled into an obsession. No sooner could I wait to unveil the royal coupling in solid bar form, a deep milk chocolate with bits and pieces of applewood smoked bacon and just a sprinkling of Alder salt. Really, what doesn't taste better with bacon?" –Katrina

What doesn't taste better with bacon? Indeed.
That Katrina is my kind of GENIUS.

Unfortunately, the reality is quite different from the imagined flavor sensation. A taste test in the office of about 6-7 brave people yielded mixed reviews. It was "okay," "surprisingly not bad," "interesting," etc. If I hadn't bought it and shared, most people would have kept passing it on by.

My humble opinion? More crunchy bacon please, less chocolate. For a real satisfactory PMS experience, I'd rather fry up a bunch of thick crunchy bacon, melt some semi-sweet chocolate and have a bacon fondue experience.

Now that sounds good.

Next up when I have more discretionary income? The Red Fire bar with cinnamon, ancho and chipolte chilis and dark chocolate.

Yo Krippy. I actually bought this to be part of your b-day present. Sorry it didn't get to you in Maine. If you want one (large or mini) or an assortment of the mini-bars, let me know.