______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, April 28, 2008

Murphy's Law

Here's my solution to the drought crisisii of the world:

Throw a black-tie gala with lots of outdoor locations, under a tent, with lots of VIPs scheduled to arrive by car service, and lots of money to raise.

Yes, I know this sounds weird, but bear with me.

You are guaranteed a 95% chance of rain. Not Irish/Seattle sunshine kind of rain, which is a light mist or drizzle. You'll get a full-blown gale, with pouring down side-way rain of puppies and kitties, with huge puddles, and cold-n-damp, which renders an umbrella basically useless.

I kid you not. Here's my evidence for this hypothesis.

At my last non-profit job, whenever we threw the annual black-tie gala, 9 times out of 10, it would be exactly as described as above, but much worse, as the tent was set up on the grass fields -- which rapidly became mud pits. (Well, until they started sacrificing the small woodland creatures, but that's another post). Women would still wear stilettos, which was ridiculous. People wouldn't bring umbrellas. Also ridiculous. Don't you listen to the weather forecast? Just because you are wearing black-tie, does that mean you have your own clear-weather bubble? NO!

Flash forward a year and a half later to the current job's every-other year gala. For the last two weeks, it's been beautiful, sunny, and warm. Guess what it's doing today?

Pouring down cold and freezing rain.
In N.Y.C.
In two venues.
Blocks apart.

Guess who's on umbrella patrol -- AGAIN!?

Not little Ms. Sunshine, let me just tell you that.

Crap. I hate black-tie, dressy, heel-necessary Galas ... IN THE RAIN!