______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pet Peeve of the Day – The RSVP

Over the years I have been the hostess of my share of bridal/baby/house warming showers. As part of my duties in the wonderful world of fund-raising, I have also had to organize many, many, oh-so-MANY events. You would think that I would be used to the lack of understanding of the proper response to the receipt of an invitation, but this last party that I’m trying to plan has snapped my last nerve. So today boys and girls, let us talk about the RSVP.

At Dictionary.com we find the RSVP defined as:

RSVPed or RSVP'd, RSVPing or RSVP'ing, noun, plural RSVP's.
verb (used without object)
1. to reply to an invitation: Don’t forget to RSVP before Thursday.
- noun
2.
a reply to an invitation: He sent a lovely bouquet of flowers with his RSVP.
3. (used on an invitation to indicate that the favor of a reply is requested).

[Origin: 1895–1900; F r(épondez) s('il) v(ous) p(laǐt) please reply ]

I have no problem with the definition. It is the application of the definition that people don’t seem to understand. I have gotten more messages that state:

“I would like to RSVP for the …”

You replied. Great. Thank you for actually adhering to the meaning of RSVP, or the “please respond by.” That is wonderfully appreciated. It is SPECTACULAR in fact!

Now, tell me what I really need to know:
Do you need a seat/ticket/name-tag or not?
Are you are actually COMING TO THE EVENT?

I am finally to a point in the numerous voice-message/e-mail/in-person conversations that I have with people that I have them check/state one or the other of the following:

___ YES, I am coming to the event/need a seat/need a place at the table, please;

Or

___ I am sorry that I am unable to attend.

WHAT IS SO FRAKKING CONFUSING ABOUT THIS? You’ve probably been a host for event before. Don’t you remember how hard it is to plan when you don’t know who is, and how many are, attending?

So, please, the next time you get an invitation and are asked to RSVP – THINK about how you are responding.

Thank you.
That is all.

P.S., the “regrets only” tag-lines don’t work either.

2 comments:

testmonkey said...

Blogger ate my first comment. *pout*

But here's the gist - I hate it when people leave voicemails like that.

"hey - call me."

How frickin' useless is that?! Tell me what you needed and when/if I call you back, I can already be prepared.

ggrrrrr. (yes, brother, I'm talking to you.)

Kristin.... said...

People lack common sense. It's that simple. Nuf said.