______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Auntie Nettie Reads A LOT - 1st Quarter

At the risk of being judged by my choice in reading materials, I am posting the list of books I managed to read from January through March of this year. This blog is going to act as my book diary, mostly because I'm tired of not remembering what I've read and never have my lists handy when I'm trying to update the catalog and/or order more books.

Please note: I'm not going to say what I've enjoyed or not, to make recommendations (for the most part), or to link to major on-line catalogs or retailers, as to not sway your opinion of me or the authors' hard work. This is just a list. I am posting this for me. There may be trends and themes, but they do not represent all of my interests or wholly represent me. Believe me, I read a lot (though I used to read about a book a day). Stick around. The trend may shift considerably in the next few months.

If you have questions or comments, you can post them. Remember, however, that Auntie Nettie's Attic has a Comments policy and I will moderate the comments as I see fit. (It's my blog and I'll censor if I want to, so there!)

Go read. I don't care if it's a trashy romance, a boringa** history, anime, a children's book, a biography, the back of the cereal box, or a tome. Just read something.

Reading List for January 2008
The Bishop's Bride by Elizabeth W. Watkins
Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich
A Secret Rage by Charlaine Harris
Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White
Reserved for the Cat by Mercedes Lackey
Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Scandal of the Season by Sophie Gee
Just Jane: A Novel of Jane Austen's Life by Nancy Moser
Sandcastles by Luanne Rice
What Matters Most by Luanne Rice
Without You: A Memoir of love, loss, and the musical Rent by Anthony Rapp
The Glass Harmonia by Louise Marley

Reading List for February 2008
Big Boned by Megan Cabot
Blood Is the New Black by Valerie Stivers
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
See Jane Date by Melissa Senate
Whose Wedding is it Anyway by Melissa Senate
Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan
Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter
Blood Price by Tanya Huff
Blood Trail by Tanya Huff
Blood Lines by Tanya Huff
Blood Pact by Tanya Huff
Blood Debt by Tanya Huff
Blood Bank: a short story collection by Tanya Huff
The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham
Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner
Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A Novel by Susan Gregg Gilmore

Reading list for March 2008
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
The Secrets Between Us by Barbara Delinsky
Wild Designs by Katie Fforde
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James
Smoke and Ashes by Tanya Huff
Smoke and Mirrors by Tanya Huff
Smoke and Shadows by Tanya Huff
Space Opera edited by Anne McCaffrey
Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
The Book of Lost Books by Stuart Kelly
How (not) to have a perfect wedding by Arliss Ryan
Storm Front, Book 1 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Fool Moon, Book 2 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Currently Reading:
Grave Peril, Book 3 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Summer Knight, Book 4 of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

10 comments:

Kristin.... said...

holy crap batman. I haven't read a book since Harry Potter Book 7. I mean, I read to the kids every day, but not a single book for myself.

sigh

Auntie Nettie said...

I know. I'm sorry. But remember, my life is more conducive to the reading ... what with no kiddies and the commute.

At least you are reading to the kids. That's very important. Once it stops snowing and the girls get bigger you can go to the library with them.

Anonymous said...

I got smarter just reading the list, does that count?
Reading the blogs does that count?
Reading he bills does that count?
Reading the TV guide each night does that count?
Ok! So reading real books is fun but for OLD&GRAY it takes longer that most.

Kristin.... said...

Yeah, probably no to the library with two toddlers. They don't sit still for anything.

Anonymous said...

That's an impressive list. I somewhat envy the time you have on your commute just for it's allowance of reading. Not that I want the commute...just more reading time.

@ Kristin - the library with two toddlers huh? Why don't you just hang yourself now and save the trouble? :)

@ anony - I'm pretty sure reading the bills doesn't count. And are you reading the TV Guide for the articles? If so, then maybe that counts for some of your daily reading. Get thee to a library stat!

Auntie Nettie said...

@h20 -- Boy, are you just asking for trouble. I believe that I have a) warned you about this type of inflammatory remark in the past and b) am warning you now.

You DO NOT mess with Krippy.
You DO NOT mess with mommies.

You are toast.

Kristin.... said...

Wow. A blog about a reading list turned into a trashing of the mom of 4 kids in the comments. Bet that makes you sleep better at night. Must be fun to kick a girl when she's down. Impressive.

Auntie Nettie said...

@Krippy -- You go girl.

@h20 -- re: your last published post. Before I posted it, I gave Krippy the option to read it via e-mail and if she wanted to respond. She okayed my posting of your comment, and has responded as she saw fit. You will note, however, that though you did apologize, I have taken your advice and not allowed your subsequent remarks. You are officially on an Auntie Nettie's Attic Blog time-out.

As the moderators say on all my other list-servs: when responding to posts, please stay on topic, be polite, and be considerate of other people's feelings. You may know that you are funny, think you are funny, or think your tone is funny, but if we don't know you, we may not "hear" your voice in your writing. Even if you happen to know us, read other blogs, you still don't know what's going on with us in real life. The pen (or keyboard) is mighter than the sword and words can make existing wounds worse.

Please Play Nice.

testmonkey said...

wow - um, ya'll need to lighten up.

Anonymous said...

I'm sensing a theme during the month of February - a very bloody one...