______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Inner Child is a 14-year-old Fan Girl!

If the blog has been relatively quiet in recent days it's due to a few factors.

1. Nothing new or pertinent to say.
2. Work deadlines. It's getting to be the busiest times of the year at the Big J, plus I'm trying to work ahead so I can go on many road/river trips this summer. I've counted up the weeks I'll be on the road, and it's almost half the summer!
and
3. I've been trying to stay off the internets so I don't watch count-down clocks!

Remember how I've blogged about one of my favorite bands, a-ha ... and how they are breaking up? What I may not have made clear is that I.Have.Never.Seen.Them.Live.OR.In.Concert.

My relationship with a-ha has been a virtual, long-distance, pre-recorded love affair ... one that started as a crush when I was a teenager. Their first tour of the U.S. (in the early 1980s) did manage to come to a major city near me, but in a fit of youthful hubris (or delusion), my friend Jenn and I didn't get tickets. Silly, silly children we were.

I have learned from that mistake.

Let me advise you.

~Get tickets -- any tickets you can -- when the group or artist you like appears at a venue close to you (or not close to you if you can afford it). Darn the cost. You only live once (according to my religious philosophy!)
~Don't be overly fussy if your seats aren't on the level you want.
~Get a seat in the hall. ANY seat. Darn the distortion. SERIOUSLY.
~You cannot count on the artist continuing to be popular enough to tour the USA/near you/in an affordable venue/or AT ALL!

I learned these lessons the hard way. While internationally popular, a-ha didn't tour the States for many, many years. Their last show was in NYC in 2005 and was sold-out too fast for me. So, that's over 20+ yearsof unrequited love ...

That is

UNTIL TONIGHT!

Tonight, my lovely nieces and nephews, your Auntie Nettie and her adventure buddy Christine are letting their inner 14-year-old fan girls out to play. We will be on the floor of a NYC concert theater, indulging in displays of shrieking and giggling that are almost too painfully embarrassing to contemplate. We will be restrained enough, however, NOT to wear bedazzled "I Heart a-ha" or "Morton, will you marry me?" t-shirts, or to throw our underwear or ourselves at the band ... but I can't vouch for much else.

We've waited too long for this concert. TOOOOOOOOOO LONG.


That's the dreamy Morten of my teenaged years, courtesy of their web-site. See the biceps, the cheekbones, the hair ... (sigh and swoon!) As a bonus, the guy can really sing. And his fellow bandmates, Mags and Paul aren't lightweights musically either!

Reports from the show, though, will have to wait until next week. Grown-up life, with scarey doctors visits, will intrude tomorrow morning, plus I'll need a few days to digest the experience. Hopefully I'll get to take pictures to share with you later.

Is it time to go yet?
How ever will I get any work done today?

Christine, what can I say? I have no words for what this belated birthday present really means to me! Really. You are AWESOME!

1 comment:

CRBosco said...

How funny is that you and I were having the same experience at the ripe age of 14, didn't know each other and lived thousands of meles from each other. I think this is a birthday present for the BOTH of us! I'm glad we are sharing this A-ha moment together!!!