______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Recipes from Grandmary -- Pecan Pie Muffins

I'm posting this one in honor of Mother's Day. Happy Happy Mother's Day -- you wacky Mom, you!

Grandmary (aka my mother) managed to wrestle this “secret recipe” out of a North Carolina baker due to her extensive family connections. She had the treats while visiting a cousin, and somehow, through hook and crook, the cousin managed to pry it away from the original baker. Apparently that baker usually never gave out the recipe, as she was known far and wide across NC for the treats. After devouring these, you’ll know why it’s renowned.

Grandmary usually uses the stash of the family farmed pecans, but since those are like gold these days, I used pecans I bought at the Union Square Market. My first patch of tarts wouldn’t come out of the tins intact (I ate the messups, calling them "baker’s tax"), so I had to call home for tips. Apparently, the cooling step is very important, so I added it in to this version of the recipe.


Pecan Pie Muffins (really, they’re tiny tarts)

Combine:
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, obviously!)
½ cup plain flour (all-purpose is fine)

Add:
2/3 cup butter (regular, salted)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Spray little muffin pan liberally.
Do not overfill tins. Batter will run over the side. Place a pan on a rack underneath your baking tin to prevent having to clean up bottom of oven. Scrubbing your oven the next day is no fun at all.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Important to let them cool down and set so you can get them out of the muffin tin. You may have to coax them out with a knife.

If you are reusing the same pan for rest of batter, clean out tins with paper towel and respray liberally.

Depending on the size of your little muffin pan, you can get 24-48.


Like little tiny decadent bite-sized pecan pies. Good warm!


I forgot to take photos. I'll have to retro-post them the next time I make this recipe. Because, I WILL be making this recipe again and again.

2 comments:

Flax Hill Gardener said...

Forgot to take photos?! How could you?

Auntie Nettie said...

I know. My excuses were that it was late; I was making three other batches of things to take to a party; and I was fustrated by the mess that my first pan-full made of my stove!